Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevrolet 4.3 V6 oil pan Q's....

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet 4.3 V6 oil pan Q's....

Hi gents, be gentle on me, this is my first post on here...
I have a Model T hot rod, with a Chevy Vortec roller lifter engine, that has been converted to carburetion. I hase the aluminum oil pan on this engine, sorry, the serial # is so close to the firewall, even with a mirror I can't make it out...anyway, the sump from the aluminum oil pan is THIS CLOSE to the pavement, the way the engine is mounted in the Model A chassis, and i was wondering if there are any steel oil pans and pickups, that I could use instead, preferable with a thicker front, and more shallow sump, but I'll settle for a steel pan and pickup that will just interchange with the aluminum one...that way, if I hit a speed bump or something, I'll just need an arc or acetylene selder instead of a MIG....
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, if you want, you can e-mail me direct at
kaferdave@charter.net
Thanks again-

Dave
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Photos-
Attached Thumbnails Chevrolet 4.3 V6 oil pan Q's....-dscn4019.jpg   Chevrolet 4.3 V6 oil pan Q's....-dscn4021.jpg  
Old October 3rd, 2010, 1:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy crap thats low, i am not an expert on the 4.3, but i would think any 4.3 from the 80's and early 90's would be stamped steel, try checking out your local junkyard, or auto parts store and check out oil pans from an 80's s10 2wd, they were fairly low, or a 4.3 from an early 80's malibu or montecarlo, or 80's - 90's caprice if at the auto parts store, they should be able to tell you if they are stamped steel or not, take pictures and measure the bolt holes, and look for the dipstick placement when searching as well, and of course whatever you pull the pan off of, get the matching pick-up and again, make sure it is compatible with what you have, this is why it would be good to start at the junkyard as the parts may be a lot cheaper if they dont work, but it may be hard to talk them out of the oil pan on a running engine, so you would be limited to vehicles with blown engines
hope this helps
Old October 3rd, 2010, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

2wd-K5, yeah, I can't even slide my clenched first between the sump and the ground... it's lower than the axle at it's lowest point, which is what worries me..
What I need to find out is if the flat tappet (1995 and down) oil pans, are the same as the roller lifter (1996 and up) aluminum poil pans, as far as bolting one on, or what I would have to do to make it fit.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Default the limbo !

i hate to say it but you might need a dry sump pan and system like in a rail dragster !
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

old dog, do you know if the older, steel pans, will interchange with the newer, aluminum pans? I can cut and weld side pockets into a shortened sump steel pan, kinda like a dirt track car has, but welding aluminum is beyond my capabilities...
Thanks for all the input so far, gentlemen, I'm still open for ideas (other than replace, or raise, the engine....)