Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

cooling fans always on

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2014, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fans always on

When I start the car on a cold engine (overnight) both fans right away come on low speed, air is NOT on....after about 30 seconds they both go full speed and stay there, never shuts off

Temp gauge take 12 minutes to climb to the middle point of the gauge then it stays there all the while both fans are running at full speed...

After I shut the car off both fans go to low speed and run for about 3 minutes before they stop

No error codes, Car has good heat, air is cold when turned on and coolant is full, no leaks , a/c and heat are off when this happens as well as on....any ideas where I should start looking?
Old June 26th, 2014, 9:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smanmail
When I start the car on a cold engine (overnight) both fans right away come on low speed, air is NOT on....after about 30 seconds they both go full speed and stay there, never shuts off

Temp gauge take 12 minutes to climb to the middle point of the gauge then it stays there all the while both fans are running at full speed...

After I shut the car off both fans go to low speed and run for about 3 minutes before they stop

No error codes, Car has good heat, air is cold when turned on and coolant is full, no leaks , a/c and heat are off when this happens as well as on....any ideas where I should start looking?
What car is this????

DId you just do engine coolant work? Did you bleed your cooling system?

At least you don't have a profile pic already. Thanks.
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

sorry, it's an 07 Impala with a 3.5 flex fuel.....just bought the car from a private owner....have all the service records (dealer maintained) and the last time the coolant was flushed filled was at the dealer 4 years ago when they put it on the lot as a certified GM used vehicle...
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by smanmail
sorry, it's an 07 Impala with a 3.5 flex fuel.....just bought the car from a private owner....have all the service records (dealer maintained) and the last time the coolant was flushed filled was at the dealer 4 years ago when they put it on the lot as a certified GM used vehicle...
And these fan speeds are independent of whether or not you have the AC on?
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Impala - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

yes, it does not matter weather I have the a/c on or not...they still run fast and wont cycle or turn off unless I turn the car off then they will go low speed after car is off for about 3 minutes and finally shut off

As I said this happens on a cold engine after car sat all night....a/c and heat OFF
Old June 29th, 2014, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

anyone ?