Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Cruise Control Fix Need ASAP

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2017, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Fix Need ASAP

Alrighty y'all, I'm a frequent YotaTech member, but today I'm working on my dad's Chevy, so here I am on the 'ol chevy forums. Long story short, he doesn't take very good care of his truck, and all the problems somehow end up on my plate. Ive been able to take care of all of them so far, however, this one has me stumped. His cruise control has been gone for about a year now and its gotten to the point where he's finally asked me to fix it. After the usual amount of research, I replaced the brake switch/sensor thing, multifunction switch, and tested the millivolts on the wheel speed sensors spinning them by hand. Everything checks out fine. After putting the new multifunction switch in, if I aggressively hammer on the "set" button on the end of the tree, I can get the light to flicker, but then goes away and won't come back on. I am at a loss. What could I be missing here?

Its a 2002 Chevy Avalanche, 5.3L, 1500. I'll be on this forum for the next 24 hours or so before I have to go back up to school, so I'll be able to respond quickly. Thanks for any tips!
Old January 18th, 2017, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

check for body dtc with a full function scan tool.
if none do this:
the cruise switches use a resistive ladder or mux switch. any change of circuit resistance will bring down the switch signals. best way to check the switch input to the module is to check the inputs with a scan tool. If you don't have access to one, you will have to ohm each switch output and compare to specs.