Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Data Recorder

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2013, 8:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Recorder

What is with GM and there Data Recorders ? Do they think everyone is ignorant ? Can they say INVATION OF PRIVACY ? Has anyone contacted gm and gotten any decent response as to why they feel thy can install these with no say from the consumer Id say its time to Challenge GM and there Recorders. Mine is coming out or the dealer will have the truck back on there lot. There is a time period for refusal even tho they wont admit it. after a few people return a few vehicles maybe they will get the point. WE DONT WANT YOU GARBAGE ...
Old September 11th, 2013, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Data Recorder

Yup Just as I suspected NO RESPONSE From GM. I would say they know this is wrong and the heat is on for them. Is there a Moderator here that might be able to give a little insight to this ?
Old September 11th, 2013, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM has nothing real to do with this site.

Moderators are not privy to any additional info.

GM has had some version of data recorders since the 1990s and became standard equipment in all light duty vehicles since 1995. They are used by other manufactures also. It is not like an aircraft as it does not record conversations in the "cockpit". It is used during accident investigation when needed (serious crashes). They can see how fast someone was going, if the brakes were used, if the person was accelerating etc.. I could really care less. Not really sure why you care unless you plan on killing someone in an accident. In that case it could actually save your butt if you did nothing wrong. Good luck trying to get it disabled or giving them the car back as I doubt it will happen.
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Default data recorder

Well MD I guess you dont know GM like you think you do. Im aware this isnt a GM site but it does get the word out to GM owners doesnt it ? Kinda like the Onstar deal a few years ago they didnt do a lot of things that were later proven tho isnt it ? Now Onstar can be disabled by the company, At least they were big enough to step up and take care of the problem Unlike GM . Im well aware of what this recorder does, Have you ever spoken to the company that builds these recorders ? Your wrong about it only being used in an accident situation . It can be used as evidence against you in many more ways than that . All thats needed is a court order or a request from a law enforcement official. Yup it records all thats happening IF its operating properly If not then it gives false Info just like any other device is capable of and your Screwed because a faulty device is never wrong.
Why do I care because its my Friggin Business and not yours, GMs or anyone elses business as to what I do with my vehicle and how I operate it. I have had GM take a car back before so dont say it wont happen. As far as my privacy I was suppose to be informed of this being in my vehicle prior to my purchase. Here private info cannot be accessed without the owners consent, Check it out . So now the Data Recorder does not get disabled but replaced with a regular old style PCM . Being a GM Tech Im sure you have heard of Vetronix by now. Time for you to brush up a little Id say.
By the way what did happen with all the old messages here ? There was a lot of great Onstar info . They seem to have done away with them .
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I can understand your frustration, however my sentiment is the same as MDTAHOE's, if it concerns you that much, show GM and the insurance companies by not purchasing their products...write your state representative.

The data you feel can be used against you could also be used to save lives, locate a missing person, the list goes on... name one thing that can be used for bad that can't be used for good and vice versa...

If you use the forum search feature in the bar above, type in OnStar, you will find all of those links...here I even did it for you -> https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sea...archid=1702587

Last edited by in2pro; September 13th, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old September 15th, 2013, 8:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Right you are, You have your oppinion and I have mine. The difference being you dont mind someone else having there nose in your business I guess . Its Principle and Privacy, Very simple . It should be my choice and not someone elses, I wasnt given that choice but GM is saying I was . They are yet to show me where I accepted it, why because I didnt. But they can show where I refused Onstar for the same reason. why would I accept one and not the other ? I have been here for years and added lots to the Onstar Discussion, some of what isnt on here today. Why is that ? Onstar can now be completely deleted, even Removed if you choose and no it doesnt have to be a worktruck model. I have contacted anyone that would listen and will continue to . The very simple point is I own the truck, not GM not the Govt. If I choose to not have this in my vehicle its my choice not theres I own it like my home. I am also aware that this isnt a GM site but they are aware of it and do read it just like many other people do, its a way to get the word out. Agree or not. Some people in this country dont like being being monitored . It has nothing to do with Criminal activity or not as some keep jumping on . Its our Right as Americans.