Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

OBD Code, what to do after repair?

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2013, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD Code, what to do after repair?

I have a code of P0101 in my 2004 Avalanche which is for the mass air flow sensor. My plan today is to change the air filter and also clean the MAF with some MAF cleaner. The filter hasn't been changed in 40k miles I guess

My question is what do I do afterwards? Unplug the battery for a while, take it to autozone and let them let me reset the code (I think they do that)? I'd like to take it for emissions tomorrow and will not want to drive it for 600 minutes for a "drive cycle" (I don't know how long it takes for that).
Old September 10th, 2013, 2:54 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

IF the fix clears the error and the check engine light is out you should be good to go....I don't believe they will fail you for a stale or old code, as far as I know there is no date stamp on it...
So no check engine light on and you are good to go...if you still have the light then you have not fixed the problem....
And as you stated disconnecting the battery will clear it but will also reset all of the required drive monitors and could take days or hours of driving to reset...
Old September 10th, 2013, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

So after replacing the filter and cleaning the MAF there is no "drive cycle" required? It will instantly be off or it did not fix the problem?
Old September 10th, 2013, 4:30 PM
Administrator

I don't think that the MAF needs any drive cycles to clear, if the MAF error is not preset the error should not be there. Some emissions faults do require drive cycles...
But remember the codes do not always point to the root, but only what the system thinks it sees as the problem.
Old September 10th, 2013, 8:26 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is NO way you can reset it that will not require the drive cycle. Turn it off today it will likely fail for monitors not being ready. Even if you fix it the drive cycle must complete at least 3 consecutive passes before the light to go out on its own.

Note: Just because the code say MAF sensor it does not mean that is what is wrong with it. The 5.3 engine will generate a po101 when the intake gaskets are going bad.
Old September 16th, 2013, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Replacing the air filter and cleaning the MAF resolved the check engine code. It did require a drive cycle.
Old September 16th, 2013, 9:33 AM
Administrator

Good to hear and thanks for the follow up the forum can be a great place for information but it really helps when folks follow up, even if its weeks or months later....
How many drive cycles did it take?