Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Doing Brakes need to know what chasis I have???

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Doing Brakes need to know what chasis I have???

I have a 1989 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 4x4. I am going to be doing the front brakes and need to know what type of Chasis I have. How would I find this out? They asked me if it is a Heavy duty 45?????? If someone could help me out with this that would be great.
Old May 5th, 2009, 2:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Euhm... I'm a big fan of stupid questions... so why stop now, right?

First of all...Exactly what are you going to do about the brakes? (fix them probably... but what exactly needs fixing? )

You can check your chassis if you have a chassisnumber. (its on the car's ID)
I think you want to remove the brake claws or brake disc. If you take the tire of, then you can see both parts and usually on the brake parts, theres a number as well. They can use that number (use google) to figure out what kind of brake system you have. Good luck.
Old May 5th, 2009, 4:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Simplest answer is "1500" designation is for trucks with a half-ton chassis. Some parts store guys can be a real PITA. They ask trick questions because they are either lazy, or they want to impress others with their wealth of automotive knowledge as a parts sales clerk.

Here's an idea, disassemble only one side(so you have the other side for a reassembly reference) of your brakes, then you can have the drum or disc machined while you're putting the rest together. Then you'll have parts you can compare to the new ones to be certain.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

I am replacing the rotors and pads. They asked me this because the pricing is different. Sorry for it being a stupid question!!! I will figure it out. Thank you.
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

It's not a stupid question. I wonder at the wisdom of the parts store which isn't willing to help you figure this out.

After all, how can you buy THEIR parts if you /they don't know this?
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

There is no such thing as a stupid question in the CF forum....only stupid answers...lol
write down your VIN and take it in with you, and as rivereye said they should be able to figure it out with that information.

Check out this link, it will help you decode your VIN and hopefully answer your question

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/
Old May 19th, 2009, 4:45 PM
Super Moderator

What I do is get a Haynes manual which covers my Make,Model, and Year.

Then I transcribe notes into the manual which pertain specifically to my vehicle.

On the inside cover,VIN, mechanical and general information.

At the end of chapters, info regarding that chapter which pertains to my vehicle.

On the inside back cover, commonly used part #s(air filter, oil filter,etc.)

Somewhere I find enough room for a maintenance history.

Then when I need info about my truck, it's all in one place.

I keep the manual in my truck,(with the emergency tool kit) so I have it no matter where I go.

Remember,"Luck" is where preparation and opportunity meet...

Trending Topics

Old May 27th, 2009, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much for everyone's help. I looked at the brakes and they are all fine. I don't know what the grinding noise could be??? I was told the wheel bearings or perhaps the master cylinder is faulty. When I push the brake pedal it has to be pushed hard and almost all the way to the floor. Could bleeding the brakes help this? If anyone could give me some suggestions that would be great.
Old May 27th, 2009, 3:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

IF you have to push really hard on the brake peddle the vacuum booster is out, it will most likely come with a new master cylinder....
Old May 28th, 2009, 5:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I didnt mean to say that your question was stupid. (sorry if you misintepreted what i meant. My english is pretty poor)I was just referring to what the others said here. There is little or no reason why you need to know what kind of chassis you have, when replacing brake parts. All the info they need about your car, should be on your car ID.
If the info isnt on the car ID, then there's still a serial number on the brake pads and rotor itself.
So the "stupid question" i was refering to was my own question :"why do they need to know?"

Do you hear the grinding noise all the time, or only at certain speeds? Or do you only hear it when you push the brakes?
Could be you have 2 problems.
1) brakes
2) lagers in the axle (not sure how thats called) that are ready to retire.

Quick Reply: Doing Brakes need to know what chasis I have???