Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

farggin electrical

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2010, 1:47 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the ground before you get the pump, just make sure it looks good and isnt connected to rust, that can also burn up fuel pumps
Old August 22nd, 2010, 7:53 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by azdesertdweller
no meter,but it has juice...not 12v...but it makes my test light glow(not brightly)...but i assume its getting juice to the pump..
You really need to verify that your getting 12v at minimum, a meter is really needed as this could be the problem if the wire is shorting out somewhere or the wire harness is damaged at some point... low voltage can cause the pump to over heat and under pump fuel....

Harbor Fright has them for $3.49
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html
Old August 23rd, 2010, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

i got this engine hoist a few years ago,specifically to do fuel pumps,just lift the bed,boom ,its right there...i went to H.F.,got a meter,i have plenty of juice to the last connector,and i don't think the pump is bad ...but i do think the sending unit is bad(possible internal ground)...my fuel gauge is pegged full...i live in a condo,so when i do this it has to be covert()takes a little more than an hour(but you know HOA's) so it will be a day or two before i can do this...i visually inspected the sending unit last time i replaced the pump...(looked good )i'm gonna pull it from the tank,reassemble it outside the tank,test it then, the moter seperatly,if the moter works, its the sender...will keep you guys posted.....

Last edited by azdesertdweller; August 23rd, 2010 at 8:21 PM.
Old August 31st, 2010, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanx guys...

well about 8 pm yesterday i lifted the bed up,swapped out the sending unit,charged the battery 10 minutes(been sittin for months) and i'll be dammed if it didn't start right up..fuel gauge snapped right into position...(empty,but u know chevys)can't tell you how many people scratched their heads at this one,nowv i gotta do the same thing to my bronco,(pegged fuel gauge)...thanx for all the help...especially u in2pro.......back to the desert...
Old September 8th, 2010, 3:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

No problem glad it all worked out for you....