Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

farggin electrical

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2010, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool farggin electrical

o.k. here's the deal...'96 chevy 2500 3/4 t 5.0...the wife drove to the store,called ,said it wouldn't start...towed it home...no sound from fuel pump,replaced it AND the relay,nothing,... replaced it twice more,still nothing....the pump is not initializing...it cranks fine...no fire...i want to avoid "priming it" if possible,having replaced the injectors and control valve earlier at a cost of + $,1000.....what do you think ?...ignition module?....i've had this truck and my bronco over 10 years,i ain't about to give up on 'em...thx guys....
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum
I'm guessing you checked the fuel pump fuse? as you didn't have it listed
I'd say focus on the fuel pump circuit, if the fuel pump is not priming at key turn to ignition. Ohm the fuse out don't trust looking at it...
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

i looked at all the fuses, all seem to be good...i don't see 1 specific to "fuel pump"....relay, yes.....i also tried jumping across the pins 85,86...nothing...i got power everywhere else....except to fuel pump,it was problem free,then it went dead.....circut,component,or fuse......it's staring me in the face.........please don't make me learn dent repair...
Old August 11th, 2010, 8:09 AM
Administrator

here is a picture from your owners manual for the under hood fuses thou you should also check the inside panel.
It may be worth removing each fuse and re-seating it...
Attached Thumbnails farggin electrical-96fuse.jpg  
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

alright,i'm gonna put every fuse to a continuity test....can i run a fused switch to the pump and run it off the battery? or fuse panel..i'm not bad with hillbilly wiring,as long as it's my own,....them a test light across,the pump relay...maybe a continuity check from the relay(pump),to the pump itself.....hmmmmm...ignition to relay?...i got the manual,just gotta clean the wires,hey thx for the direction,n2pro,flyin blind blows..........
Old August 11th, 2010, 4:51 PM
Administrator

I know on my 97 Tahoe the fuel pump has a separate emergency/aux/test lead that runs to the pump and applying 12v to it will start the pump and is a good way to check it as I believe it by-passes the fuse...
here is a picture of what it looks like and where it is on the 97 Tahoe...
It is the cable bundle near the fuse panel under the hood near the brake booster
Attached Thumbnails farggin electrical-dscf0228.jpg  
Old August 11th, 2010, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

ok...i just ran a wire from the battery to that connector you showed me...battery's a little low..but it cranks...still nothing and now i noticed my fuel gauge pegged out full.....
Old August 11th, 2010, 9:39 PM
Administrator

if you don't hear the fuel pump fire up when you apply voltage to the wire then I suspect your fuel pump is bad or not connected, could also be a bad ground to the pump.
Will probably need to drop the tank and verify the wiring all the way to the harness....
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would be checking the ground, drop the tank again and check for power there
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

sorry guys ...been out of town on a job...o.k.what i did was check for power, at the last connection before the pump.no meter,but it has juice...not 12v...but it makes my test light glow(not brightly)...but i assume its getting juice to the pump...now i've replaced this pump (in tank)3 times,without the truck firing...a mechanic friend told me he got 3 bad pumps from his distributor(autozone?) in a row...anybody else come across that?... so...since i'm gettin juice to the connector...i'm assuming your correct in sayin the pumps bad,so i'll swap it out 1 more time,i guess maybe a pretest of the pump is in order...funny thing...last week my bronco had the same problems...with my battery powered jig-saw,i cut an access panel in the bed...replaced both pumps and the filter,right on the roadside in 1 1/2 hrs...drove it home....

Quick Reply: farggin electrical