Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Faulty fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2015, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty fuel gauge

Faulty fuel gauge
I have an 09 Silverado that I have had a long time fuel issue with that has recently gotten worse. It began by running out of gas before the low fuel light ever came on. It said there was stil 42 miles to empty. Recently the fuel gauge has become very inaccurate especially immediately after filling up. Sometimes even though it is almost full it will read empty. Any Ideas?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2015, 1:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

probably a bad fuel level sender in the gas tank.
Old November 13th, 2015, 9:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Faulty fuel gage.

I had the same thing in my 94 Fleetwood Cadillac a few years ago. What is going on is a sulphur oxide is forming on the sending unit causing it to read inaccurately. You can correct the problem by replacing the sending unit in the tank, but that is a lot of work. The way I took care of mine was to add a product called Techtron to my gas tank when filling up. If you do this for a half dozen tankfulls, it should clean up the sending unit. It worked for me. Apparently some of the cheap off brand gas causes this problem. I now only use Shell gas in my cars because it has the highest level of detergents. There are other brands of gas that also have high levels of detergent, but where I live, there weren't any of them. The off brand gas stations only put the EPA mandated level of detergents in their gasoline and that sometimes is not enough. It's the old thing, "pay me now or pay me later." Try using the Tectron product and a major gasoline which is high in detergent and see if that doesn't correct your problem. Good luck.

7579lincoln
Old November 20th, 2015, 8:28 PM
CF Veteran

Most common thing is the sending unit, but high resistance in wiring and a bad gauge/cluster can have the same symptoms
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Have the problem with my 97 Tahoe. Was told it could be the stepper motor in the instrument cluster. Got to wait till I have time to replace mine.

Last edited by warf1955; December 9th, 2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: miss type