Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Flywheel area knocking

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2021, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel area knocking

I'm getting a loud knocking from what I'm assuming is the flywheel. If spun it around couldn't see any obvious warping, looked for cracks and I wasn't able to find any. Since the bellhousing blocks the bolts I can't really access those or check them. Are there any other possibilities or do I need to drop the transmission. This is on an 80s sbc 350 in my 81 firebird.
Old April 21st, 2021, 7:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ekallaker
I'm getting a loud knocking from what I'm assuming is the flywheel. If spun it around couldn't see any obvious warping, looked for cracks and I wasn't able to find any. Since the bellhousing blocks the bolts I can't really access those or check them. Are there any other possibilities or do I need to drop the transmission. This is on an 80s sbc 350 in my 81 firebird.
How are you looking at the flywheel, through the dust cover underneath? Besides chocking the wheels, put it in nuetral with the dust cover off, turn the flywheel see or hear if it is knocking.