Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

General questions about my new ('95) 1500 W/T

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General questions about my new ('95) 1500 W/T

I have a couple of (dumb) questions about my new 1995 1500 W/T I was hoping you guys could help me with.
It has a 4.3 liter v6 and says Vortec on the valve cover. On the carb/fuel injector device it says TBI. Is TBI aka Throttle Body Injection? This is not the same as "fuel injection" is it?
When I take off the air cleaner cover, it looks like I can see the TBI spraying gas down into the engine, is this what I'm seeing?
The TBI seems closer to being a carb than being fuel injection, is that true?
Is TBI good? (any advantages / disadvanages vs fuel injection?)
How can I find out what transmission my truck has? (I know it's auto, 3 spd plus OD)
Thanks for your help.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: General questions about my new ('95) 1500 W/T

Yes TBI is Throttle Body Injection, and it is fuel injection. What it is, is there are only two injectors for the whole engine (that is what you are seeing spray the gasoline), as opposed to an injector per cylinder. So it like a very advanced carb, and works well. I don't believe that your engine is a true"vortec" because GM started putting them in vehicles in '96.

For the tranny, the best way I know is look at the bottom of the tranny at the pan and look at the shape and # of bolts. Then look at the bottom left of this page and it should tell you, http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=9
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the info Northy.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the TBI vs carb and mpfi? Is it tunable or adjustable? Is there a way to tell if it's functioning properly? Is there anything else I should know about it?

Old May 14th, 2008, 2:40 AM
Super Moderator

In my opinion the TBI is more reliable than a carb, plus it would be a real pain to switch it over to running on a carb. If something is going wrong with the fuel system then you would know about it. The only real maintenance on the TBI is running a fuel cleaner throught the feul system every once and a while to clean the injectors, espeically if it has alot of miles on it. Plus with a TBI you will better MPG's.