Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

General suspension questions

Old December 8th, 2011, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question General suspension questions

hey everyone,

I was looking for some advice and was hoping that this was the right place to get it.. so here it goes.

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado LS with the 5.3 V8. She just turned over the 100k mile mark about a month ago. Well, she's been a great truck and still is.. I've not had any problems out of her except for the all-too-well-known steering clunk noise.. which is the result of poor engineering in my opinion. But other than that, she's been an extremely reliable and tough truck.

But now that she's got 102k miles on her.. I'm getting ready to put some money in her to get her tuned up and everything.

Well, I got to thinking about some other things that I should replace. I'm taking the truck to the shop this morning to have her tuned up. Replace Spark plugs/wires/coils.. and I think that alone, is going to drastically improve the trucks performance including better gas mileage and throttle response.

Now, I'm also going to be replacing the shocks. I've got aftermarket 22" wheels on her and she still rides pretty damn good considering she's got 100k miles on her with all the stock suspension parts.. not only that, but the roads around here are fairly bumpy/crappy.

Anyhow, I'm wanting to replace the shocks.. but I'm wanting a REALLY good shock that will give or make the truck ride as smooth as possible.. I'd like to have her ride like a Cadillac, but I'd have to get into the air suspension for that ride quality and its gets really expensive dealing with air suspensions.. so I'd just like to find the best shock I can get.. that will drastically improve the handling and ride quality.. so my only question I suppose is.. does anyone around here know of the kind/brand of shock I should look into getting that will give the truck better handling and even more importantly.. a much better and smoother ride??

I've been looking at the Rancho RS9000XL - Adjustable performance shock. It's got 9 manually selectable damping settings that the driver can select with the turn of a ****/dial.. At the base of each Rancho RS9000X Shock is an easy-turn dial. Start at position 1 for smooth highway cruising. Hit the middle at spot 5 for a balanced everyday mix of pavement, rough road and trail driving. Or, crank your RS9000X Shocks up to 9 for responsive dampening that's ready to rock off-road. They're quick to adjust manually; or, change front and rear on the fly with Rancho's in-cab remote system.

Here's the problem though. I'm not wanting an 'off-road' shock.. as my truck is a 2-wheel drive sport truck that doesn't even see grass.. let alone dirt/mud. I need something similar to the Rancho RS9000XL.. but for the road.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any advice/help on finding the best shock.