Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

HEI problem

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2019, 2:39 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another one:
Ferrari's Italian Alternative Transportation.

Do you have any pictures you could post of what your set-up looks like?
Old January 21st, 2019, 11:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4vet
Switch is in good condition. While I get a good 12 volts in run position but didn't think to check and see what the reading is while cranking.

I am running power to the coil through a new rely and getting direct power from battery.
I get a reading 13.5V or higher with lights and heater on when engine is running.

A new cap and rotor is on the list but remember the same thing is happening to a different vehicle also.

The silicon intrigues me. are you suggesting applying it to inside of cap?
Any explanation how it would help?
Yes I am. It wont hurt as silcone spray does not conduct electricty..
Old January 21st, 2019, 7:55 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
Here's another one:
Ferrari's Italian Alternative Transportation.

Do you have any pictures you could post of what your set-up looks like?
Fine Italian Automotive Technology.
I have driven and raced Fiats for over 35 years.
They are not known as dragsters but my 128's and X1/9's could straighten the curviest roads and running up and down the gears @ seven to eight thousand plus RPM's is a blast.
It is a stock HEI dist.
I we got a couple inches of snow and a lot of ice yesterday so I had my Toy out slipping and sliding and the engine fired right up every time I started it no problem.
The cap doesn't have more than a couple hundred miles on it and is in practically new shape.
I might try the silicone spray if I have the problem again or it comes time to get a new cap and rotor.
Old January 21st, 2019, 10:53 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 4x4vet

It is a stock HEI dist.
Looking at your picture, I'm going to stick with my thoughts that you have a poor contact between the integrated coil, spring, and carbon brush. If the spring is broken, flipping the cap over when you have it off might restore a contact that is kind of flaky. It works for awhile, and then the spring vibrates away from the coil. I've seen the problem before.

My.02.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 4:09 PM
New User

Pulled the coil and everything is as shiny as when it was first put in new. Cleaned and gave a new coat of dielectric silicon and put back together. Traced wires and connections for breaks or corrosion and it all looked good.
Put the lid on and it fired up right away.
Did learn something though. I thought the button that fits between rotor and coil was carbon but the one on my dist. is black and looks like carbon but is brass.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 1:32 PM
CF Active Member

Scratch one theory.

Old January 23rd, 2019, 5:12 PM
New User

Scratch one theory.

Not a bad theory as I have seen a couple really rusted coils.
I have grew up with carbon buttons contacting the rotor and was surprised when I realized the one on this dizzy is brass.
I have been thinking from the start that is where the problem is and the brass button make me think it even more so.
How is anybodies guess but I am going to get a carbon button if I have to turn one myself.
Old January 25th, 2019, 4:38 AM
CF Monarch

I don't know how your set up compares to mine, but I know that the coil integrated HEI system uses a spring to connect the carbon brush to the coil. You might pull that portion apart and verify the spring hasn't gotten corroded or has broken. You could stretch the spring a bit and use some dielectric grease between the spring / coil / carbon brush to assure a good electrical contact. That would at least eliminate that area as a potential problem generator. Do the same thing with the van.

I am sure you will figure this out, since you admitted that "I bought a new Fiat in 75 and drove it for 35 years."

I owned a 1968 124 Spyder. With points. I learned all the acronyms.
Find It Another Town
Fix It Again Today
Fix It Again Tomorrow
Fix It Again, Tony.
Fine Italian Animal Trainer.
-------
Nothing against FIAT. They make a great tractor.

Probably why they won WW2.

Nah it was MEN like my father who won WWII. He was a combat soldier on Okinawa, and had the A-bombs not dropped, he might have been killed on the Japanese mainland invasion. He was a good man,and suffered from PTSD for the rest of his life. NO tractor ever won the war. It was men who were sent into combat, like it of not.
Old January 25th, 2019, 8:54 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Nah it was MEN like my father who won WWII. He was a combat soldier on Okinawa, and had the A-bombs not dropped, he might have been killed on the Japanese mainland invasion. He was a good man,and suffered from PTSD for the rest of his life. NO tractor ever won the war. It was men who were sent into combat, like it of not.
Dude, breathe. Calm down and step away from your keyboard. The statement was sarcasm, along the lines of "Egypt makes a great chariot. They have fall-off wheels."

https://www.wnd.com/2012/06/chariots...able-evidence/
Old January 25th, 2019, 1:33 PM
CF Monarch

Dude, breathe. Calm down and step away from your keyboard. The statement was sarcasm, along the lines of "Egypt makes a great chariot. They have fall-off wheels."

https://www.wnd.com/2012/06/chariots...able-evidence/
I get a bit touchy when it comes to combat veterans like my dad. Speaking of tractors,my old man was once paving a runway for our pilots with no one to cover him, when a Japanese plane opened fire on him. He got under the Caterpiller fast, but was stung by a native scorpion. Had to spend time in a MASH unit. One of the only stories he told us about. He, like most combat vets dont like speaking about the horrors of up front combat.with the enemy. He had awful nightmares long after the war was over with.