General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2006 | 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help!!!

Ok i have a 1987 corvette and it seems to be leaking tranny fluid where the torque converter connects to the tranny i think, is this a common prob? and how hard on a say a scale of 1-10 is it to fix and if any1 has any helpful comments on how to fix it any help would be appreciated thx. It has a 350 dunno what kinda of tranny if u need to know.
Old September 12th, 2006 | 9:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Help!!!

To fix this you need to at the least pull the tranny back off the engine. (more than likely it is the front tranny seal) You need to pull the torque converter off, or you can try to leave it on the flywheel, (I have never done that, but should work alright) Once you get the torque converter off you will see where the drive shaft goes into the tranny at the back of the bellhousing. Unless I am wrong you can pry that seal out and put a new one in and put it all back together.
Old September 13th, 2006 | 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

thx man sounds like i can get that done in a day hopefully.
Old September 13th, 2006 | 10:44 PM
CF Senior Member

If you take your time and be carefull. You should check (I would ask a local tranny shop) about pulling the seal out, cause I don't know for sure if you can full it out from the front. I think so. You may want help to pull and stab the tranny.
Old September 27th, 2006 | 3:15 PM
CF Active Member

You should release the converter from the flexplate. It has an area that must be aligned in the transmission ( much like splines on a clutch disc ) that need to be aligned while installing the converter. It's much easier to do the alignment on the ground rather than in the car. You'd probably have to unbolt the converter while replacing the trans anyway to get good alignment. The front seal is a Round ( wheel seal type ) seal that shouldn't be too hard to replace. Make sure to lubricate the rubber area of the seal ( lighty greasing with wheel bearing grease will do ) to keep it from being too dry on startup.