Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

HELP! 97 GMC Sierra not happy....

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2010, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAGnDRAG-K5
I had an 86 Z28 with a TPI (tuned port injection) 350 and a 700r4. I bought it with , what I thought was a small electric "issue". I could start my car let it run for 30 seconds or five hour road trip, the time did not matter, but as soon as I killed the car it would not restart til it sat for some times overnight. After over a month and $800.00 later it was three bad grounds, one of which I checked but the wire was actually broken, and the PROM chip in the ECU. Yours is an OBD2 system, but the basic issues could be similar. I finally took it a shop which is who found my ECU problem. If you are in N. Texas I can refer you to a few really good shops. I hope this helps.
Those symptoms sound awfully familiar. I will definitely replace all of my ground straps and hopefully that is the only thing causing this. Thanks for the advice.
Old July 18th, 2010, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Sure no problem at all, I hope the info helps you.
Old July 18th, 2010, 6:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm hoping a word to the wise is sufficient concerning name-calling,flaming, bashing,trolling,and baiting.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by therewolf; July 20th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old July 18th, 2010, 8:49 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PremiumBlend
Sorry if I came off as a jerk to you, I was also agreeing with you but letting you know at the same time I do know the history of the truck and although those are very real symptoms I'm HIGHLY doubting those are the issues. And thank you for the input, I was not at all directing my internet tough guy talk towards you.
You didn't and I was only making sure that I didn't either
Old July 19th, 2010, 1:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok, now that the baby mama drama is over!!! Can we get back to the problem :-}. So Premium has your problem been located or is it still there!
Old July 19th, 2010, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BAGnDRAG-K5
Ok, now that the baby mama drama is over!!! Can we get back to the problem :-}. So Premium has your problem been located or is it still there!
So check this crap out, I go out to my truck today completely gung-ho and wanted to start ripping stuff apart. I decided, what the hell... I'll try starting it and see what happens. First turn of the key, starts right up... so I call my friend up at Chevy and he says to me if you can get it here, bring it up here. So I took it to him, he plugged in his diagnostic tool and EVERYTHING CHECKS OUT! I told him the style of fuel pump I replaced (Bosch) and apparently the fuel pumps are GREAT but the wiring is GARBAGE!! He told me, if it were him he would start there. I got the truck home (no problems) and took the bed of my truck off. Opened up the tank, pulled out the pump and wires only to find this:

I'm going to replace the whole module and everything this time instead of just the pump with a Delphi. It sucks because it's going to cost $330, but $100 of it is me returning the Bosch. So in the future, if you buy a Bosch... I guess make sure you buy the entire module and NOT just the pump replacement because using the Bosch wiring to work with the stock GM schematic is bad.

Thanks everyone for the help, hopefully this is the ONLY problem!!!
Old July 19th, 2010, 8:06 PM
Administrator

when I replaced the pump on my sisters 02 burban with the delphi / ac delco pump it came with an upgrade connector and a replacement fuse
Old July 19th, 2010, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
when I replaced the pump on my sisters 02 burban with the delphi / ac delco pump it came with an upgrade connector and a replacement fuse
My friend at Chevy said that's why I need to replace the whole thing because it comes with the new connector upgrade. According to him, the old schematic would generate extreme amounts of heat and amperage which would fry the pumps, but the new wire/fuse/connector with the newer Delphi/Delco's dramatically reduce the heat and prolong the life of the pump. A fuel pump is one place I KNEW I shouldn't have skimped and I totally pulled a rookie mistake and skimped and now look... here I am doing it twice.
Old July 19th, 2010, 8:17 PM
Administrator

Honesty its something we have seen over time in the forum, after market pumps are just not up to par and the best results have come from factory/Delphi pumps. Some second source parts work but the fuel pump seems not to be one of them....It must be that Canadian touch....
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Honesty its something we have seen over time in the forum, after market pumps are just not up to par and the best results have come from factory/Delphi pumps. Some second source parts work but the fuel pump seems not to be one of them....It must be that Canadian touch....
Funny thing is I went to Advance Auto to exchange the pump.. the Bosch pump (full module) is $263 WITH a Limited Lifetime Warranty and the Delphi is $330 with a 1 year warranty. Go figure?

Quick Reply: HELP! 97 GMC Sierra not happy....