Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Help with CB Radio antennas...

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2014, 4:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with CB Radio antennas...

Im not sure if this would be the correct place to post this but ive tried joining CB forum sites but none of them send me emails when i sign up (could be my computer but idk) so im hoping someone here can help me.
I have a 2006 Silverado and i put 102" (little more than 8') antennas on the two corners of the bed near the cab. they have mounts (obviously) and heavy duty springs that attach the actual antennas to the bed. they are so tall that the right one hits a lot of trees while im driving. that same antenna is bending towards the back of my pickup when its parked and not touching antything.it looks dumb and i dont know what to do to fix it. they are both screwed on very tightly and secure. i put them on maybe about a month and a half ago. the left one stands up straight but it doesnt hit any trees which im almost positive is the reaosn the right ones leaning back. it looks like the metal is bending a little bit when i take a close look at it. is there any way i could make it stronger/stiffer?
any help would be nice.
thanks.
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of those 8' Whips are made out of Stainless Steel, and not very hard stuff at that. Not much you can do except keep away from the overhead brush, or, take that one off and hand bend it back straight.

I've tried shorter ones, but a setup like you have, is the most 10/8 and maintenance free as I've ever used on 4w or 12w.
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alrighty then. what ive been doing is sometimes, when im parked somewhere, I just bend the metal back by moving the spring so that the antenna is straight up. it goes back to being bent of course but for a bit to people walking by it looks nice. lol btw what do you mean by 10/8?
Old August 4th, 2014, 3:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CB Slang

HA HA, I see you haven't been connecting with any ratchetjaws like me.
Here's some links where you can become familiar with the CB slang...

Phrases...
List of CB slang - Ask.com Encyclopedia
10 Codes...
10 codes CB Codes

Remember, make driving the most important thing, talking is way down the list