Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

How durable is a TH350c?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How durable is a TH350c?

I bought a th350c with the intentions of using it until the mechanic that is helping me put the tranny in my car told me that th350c'sare junk and that I needed a PCM that would control the lockup but what I read online is a complete different story. Is anyone running a TH350c here? Will it handle around 350hp? Ive seen toggle switches hooked up to the lockup but my mechanic refuses to believe that. I really want to use this tranny since it has a fresh rebuild. Let me know your opinions on this tranny!
Old May 25th, 2008, 5:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How durable is a TH350c?

the TH350 would be more than enough to handle up to about 400 to 450 hp. I used to run one in a drag car i had. and there is absolutley no need for a pcm to run the lock up on it. toggle switches work, i used to use a hurts ratchet shift with a lockup/ stall button on the t-handle shifter. it works just fine. if you did a stock rebuild it will handle it just fine. when i was running mine, i had it in a 69 camaro with a 383 stroker pushing around 600hp. I used a B&M performance rebuild and never once had a problem with the tranny.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 4:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a 350 in my 66 Impala with a small blook 400 engine. The car lugs down when I let off the gas like it is stuck in 2nd. Yet it downshifts when I shift down manually. It does make the two shifts. I always feel that it's in 2nd. Feels like a standard Tranny and I believe it causes overheating. Any ideas?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a big fan of the switch pitch old T/C's when I think short of the big gear drop between 1st and 2nd in 700R4's is a better choice.They can be operated with a switch of O/D and has to have a disconnect switch in the brake peddle as the 350c does.