Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Ignition timing ISSUE !!

Old December 2nd, 2008, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition timing ISSUE !!

I Have a 88 C1500 P/U I just replaced the head gaskets on after reassembly I can't seem to get the timing right, the engine ran just fine before the head gasket leak.

I have checked & recheck the postion of the distributor & the rotor to #1 Cylinder, I am definately not 180 deg out of time, all wires are properly installed to the correct cylinders, if the distributor is massivly advanced (+ 40 deg) & the timing wiring on the firewall is diconnected i can get the truck to run, but when i try to adjust it down to 0 deg mark on the timing mark it dies. The truck will not run/ start with the timing wire plugged in.

The truck has new plugs, wires , cap & rotor.

I thought & so does every one I have asked so far, that so long as the rotor is pointing toward the #1 wire it doesn't really matter how the distributor is installed.

Any suggestion would be appreciated
Old December 2nd, 2008, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ignition timing ISSUE !!

Not 180 out but it does sound like a tooth or 2 off maybe.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

It's easy to do. Saw the experts on "overhaulin" do it once to a new motor. There's a procedure for fixin' it. Get the book and takeyour time.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Stabbing distributors has always been a challenge because of the "worm drive" method of engagement. It is easy to miss by a couple of teeth. Keep in mind that when you start to stab it inline with the #1 pin, it will rotate as you put it in, causing it to be off. It needs to be inline with the #1 pin after it is fully seated. A little trial and error will probably resolve the problem.