Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Just got my first Chevy!!

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just got my first Chevy!!

Hi, Im new to the forum. I just got my chevy blazer today. Its a 1987 s-10 2 door auto. The odometer has 220,000 but it doesn't work anymore. The guy i bought it from said the v.6 was rebuilt 2 years ago. Runs real good and smooth, just has a small oil leak from the oil pressure switch. needs some cosmetic work. a few questions, My speedometer doesn't work, guy said it wasn't hook up or something, how would i check this, also odometer isn't working, where or how do i check this? thanks
Attached Thumbnails Just got my first Chevy!!-dsc00509.jpg   Just got my first Chevy!!-dsc00510.jpg   Just got my first Chevy!!-dsc00513.jpg  
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fix the speedometer, then the odometer will be fixed also, they operate off the same cable. just trace it back to the trans, it comes through the firwall near the trottle cable
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

congrats chevy's are great and for the most part easy to work on. the easiest place to start is to know that the odometer and speedo work together, so it is just a single issue. the first place to look is on the transmission to see if the connection is unhooked there, then it is just a follow the cable back to the dash, I am not sure on that model if it makes a detuor through a cruse control box or not. if every thing is hooked up then it is time to disconnect at dash and check the cable. there is a good chance there is a eason it was unhooked or left unhooked. possible it was dry and noisy? this model could even have the elec speed sensor but I don't believe it does. hope this has helped a little and congrats once more.
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

thanks. Ill go out there and check and see if i can see the speedo cable. I gotta adjust the rear brakes also. also, my a question about oil pressure. my stock gauge reads 0 but when i gas it it goes up a little. Does this sound like a bad gauge? I hope i dont really have 0 oil pressure.
Old July 31st, 2010, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

i checked the speedometer cable and it is hooked up to the back of the tranny. What do i need to check for next?
Old July 31st, 2010, 8:39 PM
CF Pro Member

look the length of the cable and look for damage, if not damaged, pull the instrument cluster and pull out the speedo cable and move the vehicle, if the cable moves then the actual speedometer is broken, if it doesnt move, the sending unit in the trans is broken
Old August 1st, 2010, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

going to pull instrument cluster today. can someone look at the pic of my engine and on the left side you will see a hose that is disconnected, can you tell me where that goes.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 5:17 PM
CF Pro Member

thats a heater core hose,needless to say u probably dont have any heat, ill bet it failed and they disconnected it, the other hose that was attatched to it was probably used to complete the coolant circut when they did this if u want heat it would be a good idea to fix that, hard to say if the heater core failed or not, i would say to hook it up and find out, but u could get coolant all over your interior, so your call to replace it first then hook it up, or hook it up and risk getting coolant on interior, they must have unhooked it for a reason