Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Little vibration, can't pinpoint

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2017, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little vibration, can't pinpoint

Hi all, newbie with a question.
I have a 1998 Silverado 5.7L rwd w/90,000 mi(140k), I've had this vibration- starts up around 25mph/worst @ 40 and still there, but less noticable on the hway.....since I bought it used a year ago.
In attempts to resolve I've done the following: full rear brakes( it needed) full front brakes and new bearrings, New tires(balanced) rebuilt drive shaft(2 part) and balanced both pieces( new center bearring and u-joints.
Things are still the same. Also checked the rear axles in case of a bent one, both are good.
Vib is there weather I drive in other gears, in curves, in neutral acc. and deccel.
If anyone has experience with this and willing to share info, it would be great ...Next, tearring into the diffy( pinion bearring ?)

Thank you
G.

Last edited by Guiys427; June 17th, 2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

pinion gear is loaded and unloaded during accelleration/decell so is it more noticeable when accellerating?
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

No, the same accel.- decel, - coast in neutral
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Also aligment done, tesetd with 2 spare wheel/tires, running out of ideas

G.
Old June 17th, 2017, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

at this point you may want to consider using this app

the price you pay for the app probably will save the cost of diagnostic charges or shot gun diagnostics. a factory tool cost upwards of $5000
Old June 17th, 2017, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Tk's Tech2, I will look into it.
In the meantime, it has been suggested to check the tranny mount( little soft and moves a bit) but not certain how much is too much, but fast and cheap to change.
Also, someone mentionned the extention shaft bushing. There again, not certain how much play is too much, also an easy R&R on the 4L60e.

G
Old June 19th, 2017, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE

After inspection, I found the original transmission support to be soft with a fair amount of oil and grease on it, decided it has given enough. Instaled a available replacement, result: vibs are still present at the same intensity @ 40mph but much WAY less noticable at higher speeds.(50mph+)
If this helps anyone think of something....let me know. Thk's for the imputs!
Tech2, I did look into that app. but finding it a little steep for my pocket at this time, for a one time use but thank you for the lead.

G