Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Locked engine

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2019, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked engine

someone please help me. I just replaced all of the gaskets on my 292. After I put it together it turned over a while then slam! No longer turns over fully. It moves freely back and forth but stops suddenly at a point. So yeah I’ve spent well over three days on it and now I’m screwed. Here’s a link to the video.
Old February 11th, 2019, 7:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I see the water pump isn't the issue, what about the alternator? Can you bar it over manually with a break over, and socket?
Old February 11th, 2019, 7:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Take the rockers off and see if it still does it.
Old February 11th, 2019, 9:36 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your cam is out of time with your crank gear. You have an exhaust valve that isn't closed and a piston is hitting it. I think you are going to have to pull the head, because you tried to use the starter on it, and that would have bent a valve for sure.
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Take the rockers off and see if it still does it.
ok thanks for the advice! I’ll give it a try tomorrow. I notice you comment on a lot of threads I do. Thanks! I appreciate the time and effort!
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
Your cam is out of time with your crank gear. You have an exhaust valve that isn't closed and a piston is hitting it. I think you are going to have to pull the head, because you tried to use the starter on it, and that would have bent a valve for sure.
only thing is I did zero timing adjustments and never touched the cam. Maybe something went wrong? But I would like to say it ran perfect prior to the gasket changes.
Also thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I see the water pump isn't the issue, what about the alternator? Can you bar it over manually with a break over, and socket?
ok so the alternator is all good. Something is locking in the engine. It’s not bottom end as far as I know. I took of the oil pan and no signs of damage.
Old February 12th, 2019, 6:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

As oldchevy suggested, and I agree, roll the rocker arms off the rods, you can isolate top to bottom of the engine being the problem. Since you removed the oil pan, try rotating the crank shaft by hand.I've not seen this issue in forever, but is it possible the oil pump lost it's prime, and since you are there, take the pump, and reprime it just to say you did. Sometimes if an engine has sat for long periods, the oil pump will not prime when first cranked., good luck!
Old February 12th, 2019, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default The answer.

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
As oldchevy suggested, and I agree, roll the rocker arms off the rods, you can isolate top to bottom of the engine being the problem. Since you removed the oil pan, try rotating the crank shaft by hand.I've not seen this issue in forever, but is it possible the oil pump lost it's prime, and since you are there, take the pump, and reprime it just to say you did. Sometimes if an engine has sat for long periods, the oil pump will not prime when first cranked., good luck!
it was a bolt in one of the cylinders.
Old February 12th, 2019, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

That's a big ouch! Don't think you can use that one again!!