Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Lost pushrod

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2019, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost pushrod

I have a 350 small block used in a dirt track car. I think valves floated and ended up breaking a pushrod. I found 1/3 of it in the oil pan, but can't find the rest. I've looked in lifter valley, timing chain cover, and oil pan. Any ideas where it would be?
Old January 24th, 2019, 7:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Did you remove the valve cover and look in there?
Old January 24th, 2019, 8:15 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if he is going to have to pull a head to redo valves that will eventually happen, oldchevy.

Old January 24th, 2019, 10:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

That is not what he asked. He asked where it might be.
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Did you remove the valve cover and look in there?
Yes, engine is torn down except heads, cam and crank
Old January 24th, 2019, 11:15 AM
CF Active Member

Justin, since you have the valve covers off, you should be able to locate which rocker arm is sloppy floppy and missing push-rod contact. Remove the hold-down nut and rocker and use a strong flashlight to look down the push-rod tunnel. My suspicion is that the missing 2/3rd bounced around on the lifter and is resting somewhere inside of the tunnel, out of sight from the intake galley..

If that is the case, you may have to fish a magnet down into the hole to pull it out. You may only have to replace the broken push-rod. The valves might be fine.
Old January 24th, 2019, 11:36 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by oldchevy
That is not what he asked. He asked where it might be.
Sorry, I figured that anyone smart enough to run and maintain a circle-track racecar who had already diagnosed a potential valve float issue, removed the oil pan, intake manifold, and timing chain cover was smart enough to pull the valve covers to look for a MIA part before he asked his question in here. My mistake.

Last edited by Kazoocruiser; January 24th, 2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old January 24th, 2019, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
Justin, since you have the valve covers off, you should be able to locate which rocker arm is sloppy floppy and missing push-rod contact. Remove the hold-down nut and rocker and use a strong flashlight to look down the push-rod tunnel. My suspicion is that the missing 2/3rd bounced around on the lifter and is resting somewhere inside of the tunnel, out of sight from the intake galley..

If that is the case, you may have to fish a magnet down into the hole to pull it out. You may only have to replace the broken push-rod. The valves might be fine.
Thanks for your help. I already looked in there with a flashlight but haven't tried a magnet. I'll try to find a small magnet and see if I can fish out

Old January 24th, 2019, 12:03 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Justin Brierley
Thanks for your help. I already looked in there with a flashlight but haven't tried a magnet. I'll try to find a small magnet and see if I can fish out
Can you post a picture of the part you were able to recover? Also, it occurred to me that whatever oil drain hole the broken piece you recovered fell into the pan from might be holding the second piece in place.
Old January 24th, 2019, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
Can you post a picture of the part you were able to recover? Also, it occurred to me that whatever oil drain hole the broken piece you recovered fell into the pan from might be holding the second piece in place.

Sitting in oil pan