Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Low Load Missing Chevy 305 Carbureted

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2019, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Load Missing Chevy 305 Carbureted

Howdy,

I have an 85 Pontiac Parisienne w/ a Chevy 305 coupled to a computerized quadrajet . I am getting an intermittent missing, not systematic, worst when it is in gear with easy pedal. Any gear. The carburetor is brand new and adjusted well (car had same symptoms with old carburetor). The engine only has 18000 miles on it, so not much wear to speak of. I had the spark plugs and wires replaced (wish I had done it myself). I just replaced the HEI ignition coil again to make sure it wasn't the culprit. I also replaced the EGR valve in case it was sticking. I have checked all the vacuum lines, even replaced a few even though they looked ok. The car starts up great and just purrs, but the warmer the engine gets, the worse the missing gets. I jacked up the car and checked to see if any of the wires were sitting against the exhaust system. (I really don't like how the wires look underneath though). Exhaust system was recently replaced with new catalytic converters. Fluids are all good. I put a wire tester to the spark plug wires, and it lights up, but it doesn't look quite as steady as I thought it would. I was about to dig in and replace the distributor cap/rotor, and perhaps reinstall the plug wires myself so I know they are run well and not touching anything damaging. I am running out of ideas. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 1:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, input from a stranger jarred my memory. I replaced the ignition control module down in the distributor, and all is well!