Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

LS spark plug frozen..tips?

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2018, 8:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS spark plug frozen..tips?

Hey guys had some time today to do some general maintenance on my Chevy Express. I got the baby LS in it. Whet to take the first plug out and it seems super tight. Got maybe a quarter turn out of it and it would lock up to the point of where I was afraid of breaking it. I tried working it back and forth but to no avail and I just saw nightmare ahead of me so I stopped. Any pointers? I tried the next plug it came right out. Any tips since this is the first aluminum head block I've owned.

Also, put a serpentine belt on it and I also noticed there's a separate belt for the AC compressor down low. How the heck do you change that belt? I saw a no way to move the compressor to loosen the belt? It looks in good shape but 140,000 I figured I'd want to put one on.

thanks for any pointers!
Old December 25th, 2018, 9:07 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Might try soaking the plug threads with penetrating spray and continue with the back and forth,the threads are likely carboned up.
As for the AC is should have it's own take-up pulley that is spring loaded just like the main serpentine, main belt has to come off first.
Old December 25th, 2018, 9:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by expressvanman
Hey guys had some time today to do some general maintenance on my Chevy Express. I got the baby LS in it. Whet to take the first plug out and it seems super tight. Got maybe a quarter turn out of it and it would lock up to the point of where I was afraid of breaking it. I tried working it back and forth but to no avail and I just saw nightmare ahead of me so I stopped. Any pointers? I tried the next plug it came right out. Any tips since this is the first aluminum head block I've owned.

Also, put a serpentine belt on it and I also noticed there's a separate belt for the AC compressor down low. How the heck do you change that belt? I saw a no way to move the compressor to loosen the belt? It looks in good shape but 140,000 I figured I'd want to put one on.

thanks for any pointers!
Use some penetrating oil.. If that doest work heat it up with a torch. Always use neversize on your new plugs.
Old December 26th, 2018, 11:37 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by expressvanman
there's a separate belt for the AC compressor down low. How the heck do you change that belt? I saw a no way to move the compressor to loosen the belt? It looks in good shape but 140,000 I figured I'd want to put one on.

thanks for any pointers!
I don't know if what you have is a representative of what is being done in some cases today. There is no adjuster. They belt is changed using a shoehorn (special tool) to force it over the outer part of the pulley. I think they call it a "stretch to fit" design.
Old December 26th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

use to be; if you buy a new belt from the dealer...it comes with the stretch belt installation tool in the box. They can be installed with a prybar if your careful.
Old December 30th, 2018, 10:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Going to try to tackle it today.
Old December 30th, 2018, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Well the good news is the plug wasn't Frozen. It was just the first plug on the passenger side and trying to use an extension it just would kind of wedge on the metal lip where the doghouse butts up. Although the first time I tried it it didn't seem like that was the issue... but apparently it was as last time I was in a bit of a hurry trying to knock it out. Today I had all day. Or at least till 3 when the Bears start
My short extension was too long and my long was too long. Putting a socket on the end of the hexed end of the spark plug socket did the trick. Came right out.

For now the AC belt looks just fine LOL I did get the main serpentine belt changed and to me that's the important one. I don't even want to deal with the AC belt. That doesn't look fun.