Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Mixing small amount of diesel in gas to clean motor?

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2010, 2:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing small amount of diesel in gas to clean motor?

A friend of mine told me that his father mixes a little diesel into his gas tank from time to time to clean the internals of his motor. Says he's always done it and his cars/trucks have lasted a long time.

Is there any truth to this?
Old February 21st, 2010, 3:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that a few times to. I've never added a lil to the fuel though. I have filled an engine with diesel and let it sit for a few days then drained, (NOT suggesting). Cleaned up the motor all right, smoked for days and days once I finally got it cranked again.

I don't know how adding it to the fuel would clean the internals of the motor, maybe the fuel lines. But as soon as it goes into the cylinders it'll burn off. The diesel would never touch the rocker arms and valves and all that.

Last edited by nauticstar87; February 21st, 2010 at 3:08 PM.
Old February 21st, 2010, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

I've heard of using diesel engine oil (at least a mixture with regular engine oil) to clean out the internals. Supposedly, the diesel engine oil has stronger detergents and such since the diesel engines tend to be dirtier. I've never tried it, but would be worth a try I guess. Sounds about right to me since the oil in diesels never stays clean. The oil almost always looks dirty after some miles (not a lot but a few). The diesel in the gas probably helps keep the fuel lines, fuel pump, injectors, intake, and intake valves clean. To clean out my truck I use Sea Foam (through the intake and inside of the oil). If you use Sea Foam, read the instructions since you cannot run your oil that much longer after putting in Sea Foam.

Last edited by cam3439; February 21st, 2010 at 4:14 PM.
Old February 21st, 2010, 6:42 PM
Super Moderator

this sounds like a bad idea to me. like nauticstar87 it would make it smoke. might clog up some valves too
Old February 21st, 2010, 6:57 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I wouldn't try it with today's fuel injected system there are plenty of additives you can buy to do the same thing. Diesel is a fuel oil and not as refined as gas.
Old September 17th, 2021, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

This is not recommended, I woudn't mix a small amount of diesel in gas because it can clog up the fuel filter.
Also, watch this - What Happens When You Put Diesel in Gasoline?

Old September 18th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Why do this. They have fuel injection cleaning systems designed for this. On modern engines with direct injection you need a way to clean the valves and this requires a injector placed in the induction system.