Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

My 77 350

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2010, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 77 350

I blew out the upper end on my 305 in my chevy shortbox, fixed it, then blew out the lower end. I have a 1977 350 in my garage that i'm planning on rebuilding. While she's apart i'm looking for different replacement parts. I have a stock camshaft in the 305 i replaced before it blew,

can i or should I put it in the 350, after putting about three weeks of wear on it in the 305?

Is there any difference between a 305 and a 350 cam from the factory?

When this 350 is back together i want to have lots of low end torque, so knowing the specs of both cams would be spectacular, i already looked up and old post asking for the specs, but the site that was linked is down. Also, any recommendations for camshaft specs would be helpful. I will be working on all stock 350 heads, block and intake, with a 4 barrel quadrajet. I'm looking for pop off the line, pump gas, and durability. So please, no ratios that require alcohol.

Also any deliberation on pros and cons of powerpak heads vs. camel hump heads would be great. Thnx
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:29 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would shelf the 305 cam and go with at least an RV cam, the other will choke it, rv gives it a lil more go, as for heas, it is best to just change the valve guide seals, and be done with them, unless u feel like spending hrs upon hrs at the bench grinding them, only to pay a guy $500 to put new valves in as well (needed if u want to do it right) and camel hump heads kick ***, at 2500 rpm, they turn into a whole nother beast, but u want torque so go with power pack if buying
Old October 16th, 2010, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam

Annnd stupid question, with the cam i want, i want it more aggressive than a stock, but not so aggresive i roll out with an interference motor. I've got a buddy out here who's worked with small blocks his whole life, he says get a medium cam, what #'s would i be looking at in the range of medium cams and anyone know a good place to get a medium cam for a 350?
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.75 total lift is a good mid range, there will be no interference and good power with the right duration