Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need Help with Scan Codes for 1999 Chevy S10

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2014, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help with Scan Codes for 1999 Chevy S10

I have a 1999 Chevy S10 that is running rough, power loss, smell gas bad while driving, and back firing when letting off gas going down hill.
I just hooked a code scanner to the truck and here are the codes:
P0300, P0420, P0452, P0453.
History, I put a new fuel pump in last year, so I don't think it's the fuel pump. Truck has 102,000 miles on it.
Before it started acting up, I just filled up the truck FULL of gas, to the point it was coming out of the neck (gas was on sale). I drove 23 miles with the full tank when the truck started jerking, missing, loss of power and smelling gas out the tailpipe, acts like it's flooding.
I looked up the codes, one sight said loose gas cap. The gas cap seal has some cracks, but I can't imagine the gas cap is causing this. I put a layer of grease on the gas cap seal, screwed it on tight and still the same problem. I did this just to test tonight. Not the correct way I know.
Any ideas what the problem is?
One sight said O2 sensors, Fuel Pressure Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, Catalic Converter clogged, and Mass Air Flow Sensor. I hate to change All these when only one is probably the problem.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Any luck finding out the problem(s)? I have a 98 Blazer with similar problems. Random misfire / "stumble" (camshaft sensor fault 41 not showing), not always but occasionally and poor fuel efficiency, we have smelled gas before but haven't noticed it recently.
Your P0452 + P0453 sounds like a bad sensor EVAP fuel tank pressure sensor low + high pressure input.
Or with a "FULL" tank pressure was high during a warm / hot day and with cracks in the gasket it not sealing good and either 1 or both just not cleared from history. Try clearing by disconnecting battery for 30 seconds and recheck.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jparoff
Any luck finding out the problem(s)? I have a 98 Blazer with similar problems. Random misfire / "stumble" (camshaft sensor fault 41 not showing), not always but occasionally and poor fuel efficiency, we have smelled gas before but haven't noticed it recently.
Your P0452 + P0453 sounds like a bad sensor EVAP fuel tank pressure sensor low + high pressure input.
Or with a "FULL" tank pressure was high during a warm / hot day and with cracks in the gasket it not sealing good and either 1 or both just not cleared from history. Try clearing by disconnecting battery for 30 seconds and recheck.
I am getting a new gas cap in the morning. Will try and let you know.
I HOPE this is all that's wrong with the truck. I am usually not that lucky.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 68rs327
I am getting a new gas cap in the morning. Will try and let you know.
I HOPE this is all that's wrong with the truck. I am usually not that lucky.
New Gas Cap did NOT help...?
Still flooding out, loss of power and smell gas bad while running. Service Engine light keeps flashing at me....
Thought maybe coil packs, but I put new ones on it last fall.
Need Help.