Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need Some Mechanical Fuel Pump/Camshaft Help

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2013, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Some Mechanical Fuel Pump/Camshaft Help

Ok, think i may have stepped into a mess. Im an ase master certified tech and can pretty much do it all but im a little young for this old school stuff

Here is what i got, judging from my numbers i got from the engine on passenger front of block v0808dbk should be a flint motor 8/8 92 camaro 305 (if anyone can verify that would be awesome took meforever to find dbk)

long story short this thing is in a 69 modle pickup with a 4b carb intake setup on it (the 92 sould have been tbi right?). my customer wants a mechanical fuel pump on it.

The plate is there for the pump, best i can tell the pushrod hole is all the way to the cam, but im pretty sure the cam does not have the pump eccentric on it. i dont have the pushrod yet but i slid a 3/8 extension in it and cranked it and got very little to no movement.

So my question is how much travel should my pushrod have if the eccentric is there? and if it isnt there does anyone know of a cam that will fit this motor that has the pump eccentric? he wants either a stock or very close to stock cam as it will be his d/d when finished.

any help much appreciated, this thing has been a pain since it entered my shop.

Thanks for looking!
Old July 31st, 2013, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello 4 bangin,
I just replaced the fuel pump and pushrod on my 1978 350. I'm not an expert, and all I know is from this forum and some youtubes... but simply based on the range of motion on my new fuel pump, I would say that about half an inch of movement is all I would expect from that rod. Sorry, but I have no insight regarding another cam.
ItsBigIron