Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

newbie with 350 mechanical fuel pump problems

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2012, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with 350 mechanical fuel pump problems

i have a jeep cj-5 with a 350 carbed engine - problem is i pulled old fuel pump off and the rod that plunges the fuel pump from the cam will not "suck up" back into the engine enough for me to mount new pump, so i rolled engine by hand with zero excess
what can be wrong????
Old October 31st, 2012, 8:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by boydog40
i have a jeep cj-5 with a 350 carbed engine - problem is i pulled old fuel pump off and the rod that plunges the fuel pump from the cam will not "suck up" back into the engine enough for me to mount new pump, so i rolled engine by hand with zero excess
what can be wrong????
The rod was where you want it, off the eccentric. Take a finger full of grease, push the rod up, and apply the grease. That should hold the pump rod up long enough to install the pump.
Old October 31st, 2012, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

think i just found my problem
the pump rod is bent/??? not sure how but it is
will get a new one tomorrow
thanks
Old October 31st, 2012, 8:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by boydog40
think i just found my problem
the pump rod is bent/??? not sure how but it is
will get a new one tomorrow
thanks
I take it your talking about the pump arm, as to bend the pump rod would be almost impossible. You prorbably got the pump arm in with the rod down, it can happen. Still with the grease trick, rod off the eccentric, wipe the grease across the pump rod with it up. That should hold it up long enough to install the new pump.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a bolt hole in the front of the block, that's adjacent to the pump rod, for this very purpose. Remove the short bolt, wind in a longer bolt while holding the rod up, and snug it down lightly to hold the rod up in place. Once the pump is on, reverse the procedure and reinstall the short bolt. This is assuming you can't get the grease procedure to work. I've always just used the long skinny screwdriver to hold the rod, quick switch-aroo trick.
Old November 8th, 2012, 2:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
There is a bolt hole in the front of the block, that's adjacent to the pump rod, for this very purpose. Remove the short bolt, wind in a longer bolt while holding the rod up, and snug it down lightly to hold the rod up in place. Once the pump is on, reverse the procedure and reinstall the short bolt. This is assuming you can't get the grease procedure to work. I've always just used the long skinny screwdriver to hold the rod, quick switch-aroo trick.
That is a great trick but fyi that hole is there because the early 265/283 motors used those holes for a motor mount.
Old November 8th, 2012, 8:28 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by namu mac
That is a great trick but fyi that hole is there because the early 265/283 motors used those holes for a motor mount.
That's a good theory, but that doesn't explain why my 350 block, and any other non-265/283 engine (totally different castings/side motor mount) I've messed with has that same bolt hole.