Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

not sure whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2018, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure whats wrong

I just finished building 1985 350. it started right off the bat an ran smooth till up to temp. To set timing I had to turn dist. way more than I thought was correct (counter clockwise). my problem is that when I turned it off and tried t restart it had to much compression to turn over. was I off on my top dead center and timing. this is my first build don't want to hurt it. thanks in advance if you can help p.s.After cool down it fired right back up but same problem with restart.
Old January 24th, 2018, 6:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 354 Likes on 335 Posts

Sounds like your timing is not set correctly. If you had to turn the distributor to much you are probably one tooth off. I believe there is a wire to disconnect when setting the timing to disable the advance. That's what I remember from the cars from the 80's.
Old January 24th, 2018, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I'm going to set it at tdc and see what dist. looks like and go from there. I'm going to try to look up that wire you are talking about.