Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Obd code readers

Old June 12th, 2017, 1:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd code readers

Hello all,
i've got a 2007 chevy tahoe with the check engine light on. I'd like to get a bluetooth code reader that will work with my iphone.
Does anyone have one or recommends which one to get?
Thanks in advance.
Frank
Old June 12th, 2017, 7:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

I prefer to use a dedicated scan tool due to compatibility issues. This one will work for all makes, 1996 or newer models in all 10 modes of obd2. It has free lifetime updates. It will read powertrain codes only.
Creadervi

here is a link to one bluetooth review

Last edited by tech2; June 12th, 2017 at 7:51 AM.
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Tech2,
do you use either of these that u have recommended?
Old June 13th, 2017, 7:38 PM
Super Moderator

i have the lauch c readervi. Cost $169 when it first came out but in the usa it probably $100. fee lifetime updates. there are cheaper versions but they are code readers with no datastream. You want to see live data. This only reads powertrain codes....codes that set the mil light. It does not read airbag, chassis, body or undefined codes.
I do not use a cell phone and if i did i would not use a diagnostic app as my scan tool. too many compatibility problems from what i read here. Some are cheap pieces of ship so you need someone who knows scan tools and the features that are a must.

i bought mine for used car shopping. It has the ability to view the inspection/maintenance monitors...so i know when someone has cleared codes and is hiding a fault.

depends on what your needs are and what you want to spend. the best laptop based scantool is autoengiuity. You can buy the entire system or just the brand you need. For Approx $300 you can have a full function scan tool for one brand...say all gm products. This is no code reader....it can do everything a factory scan tool can do.

Last edited by tech2; June 13th, 2017 at 7:43 PM.
Old June 14th, 2017, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for your valuable insight tech2.
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Amazon Amazon
Old June 26th, 2017, 8:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tech2
here is a link to one bluetooth review
Thanks for the recommendation, tech2!

If I can add a bit more information...

BlueDriver has free lifetime updates and no subscription fees. On most Chevys, it can read check engine codes, ABS codes, etc. Frank, if you'd like to see specifically what BlueDriver can do when connected your vehicle, go to our website, scroll down, and enter your vehicle's details.
Old November 22nd, 2022, 3:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Foxwell makes some very good bi-directional scan tools for a reasonable price. Check out their website.

Search this Thread