Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Opinions wanted - 89 chevy g20 van repair nightmare

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted - 89 chevy g20 van repair nightmare

Boy oh boy, I am in a bind and could use some opinions.

I recently purchased a used 1989 Chevy g20 conversion van with 124k miles on it.
When I test drove it everything ran great and it was in very good shape inside and out, not a dent anywhere and very well maintained.
It did have a clatter that seemed to be coming from the alternator bracket, which the guy told us about.
The next morning I was taking it to the DMV for plates and it stalled and the check engine light came on.
I got it going but drove it to the mechanic for a look over.
I asked for an oil change and for them to figure out the check engine light issue.
They phoned me back with the bad news - it needed a new alternator, belt and tensioner, new brakes front and rear with rotors and calipers and the clatter he said was the alternator. The check engine and stalling issue was the engine coolant temp sensor.
The shop said it would be done the next day.
We were a bit bummed but what the heck, it would be road worthy after that and we could trust it.

Well, here is where the story gets bad . . . . (worse maybe even)
They call me back and of course I think they are going to say "It's done, come get it"
But, the guy says they had an "issue"
They said the main bearing went out while it was on the rack.
He said they thought since the coolant temp sensor was bad it was running very very rich and the oil had gotten thinned out by the fuel and they think that's why the main bearing went out.

I was freaking out as now this thing needs a rebuilt motor.
I had only run this van for 20 minutes since the check engine light had come on.

I asked if they had changed the oil yet and they said yes, they had.
How do I know they did or not?
In fact, how do I really know they didn't drain it and not refill it?
As you can tell, I am between a rock and a hard place on this.

Sink another 4k (ish) into a rebuilt motor?
Does anyone think they share some responsibility in this?
The guy said it just happened to occur on their rack and had they released it to me I would have likely gotten a few miles down the road and the bearing would have gone out.

I just don't know what to do now and suddenly this used van is getting WAYYYY more expensive than it is worth.

What would you guys do? (probably install a rebuilt motor yourselves, but that is not my thing, and I could never do it)

I guess I am just out of luck on this one but would sure like some advise or opinions.

Thanks

Rich
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first, welcome to the cf forums. this is a great place with lots of info, great people. glad ta have ya.

unless there is undeniable proof that the shop had something to do with the engine failing, there's not much you can do there. you could find a good used motor and have someone swap it out for ya. there's places that offer a short warranty on used motors, or craigslist. you might also call around to engine rebuild/replacement shops in your area and get multiple quotes to compare. some places around my area are about 3k, but there are a couple reputable places that are half the price, including engine. they do so much business that they can offer lower prices, with warranty. just some food for thought. good luck, keep us posted.

another option is to sell the rig like it is, tho that is taking a cut. repairs sometimes aren't cheap, but spending a few minutes shopping around could save ya a ton.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 4:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey reicher,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

While you're getting second opinions, why not have another mechanic look at it? Do you trust this shop? Were they recommended by someone you know? Have you googled them to see if anybody has posted a complaint about them?

The story sounds fishy to me. I'd be inclined to say "So the alternator and the brakes are fixed? I'll take it as it is."

Then see if another mechanic will verify their story.

I'm just not getting behind the new brakes after it did so well in the test run. Not to mention they replaced the alternator, belt AND tensioner? Lucky, lucky you!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

WOW!!
I can't believe it.
The garage called and they actually admitted they ran it without oil!
I have never had my butt kissed quite so hard.
They are getting a used low mileage 350 long block for me.
They are installing it and even replacing all the belts and hoses.
No charge for the engine or labor or belts and hoses.

I pay for the brakes, alternator and temp sensor and now have almost a new van!

I am in shock.

I had googled them and checked their yelp etc before going there and they do have a really good reputation.
The service manager was so so sorry
He apologized about 20 times.
I plan to add to their good reviews on yelp.

wow
Old March 2nd, 2010, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Oh, I should also add that the general manager/head technician came in and personally dissembled the bearings. He suspected right away it failed due to being run with no oil.
He then took them to a machine shop and they also said the failed due to being run with no oil.
The service manager said he couldn't fathom it as they only hire mid to senior level mechanics.
The guy admitted it too.

Also I appreciate the replies to my post.
I plan on reading a lot here and participating where I can.
Now that I have a bitchin 89 chevy conversion van to tool around washington state in.

Thanks a lot for the help.
I was prepared to act on it, but gladly things are working out even better.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 8:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so glad that they came forward and admitted, then took every step to make you a happy customer. not too many shops do that anymore. says alot about the people there. glad it's working out for ya.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 8:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome and amazing.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you got a hell of a deal lol.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 3:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is the unlikely happy ending to one of a million similar stories. Your garage deserves it's
hard earned reputation. Be sure to tell your friends, everybody's looking for an honest shop.

It's good to hear things worked out so well for you, reicher. Enjoy toolin' around in Washington.

Keep in touch.

Last edited by therewolf; March 3rd, 2010 at 3:45 PM.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default what shop was it

reicher what shop was that? I also live in WA state and have a 1990 G20 Mark III conversion van. I just opened a new site as well located at http://www.chevyg20.com for Chevy van enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted - 89 chevy g20 van repair nightmare