Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2017, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem

I have a 1995 Chevrolet Silverado k1500 4x4 with the 5.7 liter 350 I've just bought it been fixing it up truck ran fine now problem till I discovered the radiator had a pin hole in it so I replaced the radiator and the thermostat then started to overheat replaced thermostat again still overheating replaced the clutch fan and it still overheating am not able to drive it (the radiator that came out was a thin one and the one that was put back in is a little thicker) what else could be my problem
Old August 24th, 2017, 1:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you bleed the air out of the system?
Old August 24th, 2017, 1:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

... and we are all assuming you changed the radiator cap? Also assuming you got a proper mix of water in the system.
Systems don't run well on higher proportions of coolant/water. Water is what transfers the heat more efficiently.
Old August 24th, 2017, 2:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Are you sure it is actually overheating and not getting a false reading from the gauge. If it is a real overheat problem it could be that your engine block is partially blocked and may need to be flushed.
Old August 24th, 2017, 3:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Glycol is a desicant. It attracts water, used alot in dehydrating natural gas, that is the reason use a mix of water/coolant.