Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Part Help

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Help

Hi All,

New to the forum here, looking for some help identifying a part.

I have a 1991 Avanti Convertible. For those not in the know, it's based on the b-body 9C1 Caprice. Most of my drive train and under pinning are Chevy. While the car does have a custom wire harness, most of the accessories are standard Chevy bits. I have a box up under my dash that looks like a small something. Picture below. I don't believe it to be an OEM Chevy part, but there may be a chance it is used on another model.

On a less helpful note, google-ing Tec-M only returns a link to find a BMW aftermarket ECU.

edit: posting the photo reminded me, if anyone can enlighten me as to which car has that climate control it would also be greatly appreciated. I think it's Buick Roadmaster.

Part:
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  66.3 KB

Car, if you're interested:
Name:  PICT0005.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  157.2 KB

Thanks,
Spencer
Old May 3rd, 2014, 8:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would these people know?

Bob Johnstone's Studebaker and Avanti Page (Studebaker Tech Help and Troubleshooting Info)

Are there any screws on the back that you could open it up and look for #'s inside?

dang.. that's definitely almost 1 of a kind.. better ask Cafaro?!

Cafaro years[edit]

1991 Avanti four-door sedan
John J. Cafaro, a real estate man, picked up the rights to Avanti Motor Company and with the help of the State of Ohio moved all Avanti production from South Bend, its birthplace to the Rust Belt area of Youngstown, Ohio in 1988. In 1988 and 1989 Avanti made two door models and a convertible. The 1988 Avanti were called the Silver year models marking 25 years of Avanti. The 1989 Avanti were given the rally ground effects updates.

Cafaro was noted for making the four door Avanti in 1990, an idea from the original designer, Raymond Loewy. Cafaro concentrated on the four door to the detriment of the original coupe, the company's bread and butter vehicle. Only 90 were made at the Youngstown plant, making them very rare in the marketplace. In 1991 Cafaro went back to building the convertible before the plant was closed later that year.
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Cafaro is in prison. Some shady deal with his real-estate days.

Sadly though no screws it's sonic welded shut. There is a cut on one of the edges through which I can see a flat head screw. The kind you'd find to adjust a small potentiometer. I think it may be a sensor. I wonder if it has something to do with the climate control... huh.

The guys over at bob's are great. Sadly their information on the 91 is lacking. It was a big change over year, parts wise, from the 88-90s and there just isn't a ton of information. Cafaro only made a small handful of vehicles that year, something like 50 in total (coupes and convertibles).

I know it's going to be a long shot finding this. I discovered the car has an alarm/remote lock system in it. Thinking it was a chevy system I spoke to a couple guys about it. Turns out it's an Italian alarm that went out of production almost 20 years ago. That said, I'm not really expecting to figure out what this does.