Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Parts ID in Bottom End of SBC

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2013, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts ID in Bottom End of SBC

New to the forum. I bought my '79 C3 Corvette back in April and the guy I brought it from knew nothing about it other than the guy HE bought it from would take it to the drags.

This weekend I pulled the oil pan so I can replace the rear main seal and oil pan gasket and get a peek at the bottom end.

Here are the photos I took, can anyone tell me what I've got here?

Parts ID in Bottom End of SBC-zzqync4.jpg
Parts ID in Bottom End of SBC-0hwles3.jpg
Parts ID in Bottom End of SBC-lb9tigu.jpg

I can tell that it is obviously a 4-bolt, but what's the story on the crank/rods/pistons? I sent the pictures to an engine builder friend of mine who said they are TRW forged pistons, factory cast rods, factory forged crank, and ARP bolts. I'd like some more opinions. Another source says they are indeed forged rods.

For those of you who like pictures, here are some more pictures of the engine.
Name:  vEUxLa8l.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  48.7 KB

Crane 1.5 roller rockers and stud girdle:
Name:  ZUgjuShl.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  40.5 KB

I haven't ID'd the heads yet. They appear to be cast aftermarket heads with a Z98 stamp as you can see in the picture above. I couldn't find any other stamps. The casting pattern at the end doesn't match any GM casting charts I've seen. I plan to eventually replace the heads and cam with an aftermarket set that will go well with my super vic intake. I have no idea what cam is in there now but it is hydraulic and seems fairly mild.