Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Pitman Arm and Idler arm stuck on Drag/Center Link

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2019, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitman Arm and Idler arm stuck on Drag/Center Link

Good Morning,

For the past week I have been struggling to remove the Idler Arm and Pitman Arm completely. So far I have been able to remove the idler arm from the idler arm bracket and the Pitman Arm from the Steering box. I've tried using Pickle forks to separate the joints no luck after hours of hitting it. I have tried hitting the stud out (nut on and off) and still not even the slightest hint of release tried prying it and still nothing.

I have went on many forums and watched many videos and have gone nowhere. Only thing I haven't tried was heat because I dont have the means to do it and am limited on funds to acquire the propane and torch.

If anyone has any tips on how to separate that joint it would be greatly appreciated.
---
Chevrolet
-1999 C1500 Suburban
-RWD
-5.7L V8
Old September 7th, 2019, 4:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by drodg99
Good Morning,

For the past week I have been struggling to remove the Idler Arm and Pitman Arm completely. So far I have been able to remove the idler arm from the idler arm bracket and the Pitman Arm from the Steering box. I've tried using Pickle forks to separate the joints no luck after hours of hitting it. I have tried hitting the stud out (nut on and off) and still not even the slightest hint of release tried prying it and still nothing.

I have went on many forums and watched many videos and have gone nowhere. Only thing I haven't tried was heat because I dont have the means to do it and am limited on funds to acquire the propane and torch.

If anyone has any tips on how to separate that joint it would be greatly appreciated.
---
Chevrolet
-1999 C1500 Suburban
-RWD
-5.7L V8
Here is a YouTube videoes that ought to help you out;

Last edited by oilcanhenry; September 7th, 2019 at 5:06 AM.
Old September 7th, 2019, 7:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

it pretty hard to separate it off the truck. When its on the truck I have someone pry down on the centerlink with a long prybar and then hit the taper part of the center link. the easiest way at this point with it removed is to buy a tie rod end puller tool. they are cheap and well worth the money.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8061848e
Old September 7th, 2019, 7:35 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
it pretty hard to separate it off the truck. When its on the truck I have someone pry down on the centerlink with a long prybar and then hit the taper part of the center link. the easiest way at this point with it removed is to buy a tie rod end puller tool. they are cheap and well worth the money.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8061848e
This is one reason I grease everything when I am under the vehicle, every oil change..
Old September 7th, 2019, 7:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

gm is the only manufacturer that uses grease fittings on the 2500/3500trucks anymore. dodge has zero on the 1500's and one grease fitting on the front driveshaft for the 2500-5500's!
greased for life....I'll take the zerk fitting please.
Old September 7th, 2019, 8:02 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
gm is the only manufacturer that uses grease fittings on the 2500/3500trucks anymore. dodge has zero on the 1500's and one grease fitting on the front driveshaft for the 2500-5500's!
greased for life....I'll take the zerk fitting please.
Me too. You should have seen all the zerk fittings on my old mans' 1969 Chevy C-60.as it had two PTO shaft's for driving the two fuel pumps.Doesn't take long to grease things. Same thing with these automatic transmissions that "don't need servicing." You should have seen how dark the fluid in my 15' Malibu looked when I dropped it. Cant change the filter either as there is no oil pan, just a 13mm plug. Got 4.5 quarts out of there, almost half.. I am gonna try to affix a magnet to the drain plug.