Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Please help with 88 Suburban that is stuck in drive

Old August 18th, 2017, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with 88 Suburban that is stuck in drive

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction on my son's 88 Suburban 1/2 ton 350 4x4. It is stuck in Drive. I disconnected the linkage to see if it was transmission related and that didn't help. Then i read somewhere that it might be a Brake transmission switch issue but i can't locate it on the column. The previous owner had lost the keys to it and broke the lock off on it and wired it to start from a switch and a button. I Found the brake switch and it tested fine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old August 18th, 2017, 9:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I think I read the transmission is in drive, and it won't start. The neutral safety switch is what's (as i read) keeping it from cranking. regardless of the transmission position the switch won't let it crank. The brake switch unless depressed won't let it out of gear . You might try (with a worn steering column) holding the gear shift in park while trying to start
Old August 18th, 2017, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

I'm am sorry I meant to say it is stuck in Park and won't go into drive. It starts fine suprisingly. Thank you for the response.
Old August 18th, 2017, 10:05 PM
CF Monarch

Can you feel the steering column shift? I know you posted disconnecting the transmission shift lever. Is it the problem in the column shift or transmission shift lever?
Old August 18th, 2017, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

It is in the column. I can shift it at the transmission. With break engaged and the linkage disconnected it won't leave the parked position.
Old August 19th, 2017, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

I tested the brake switch with a meter and it appears to open and close fine for the brake lights but there is also 3 wires coming off the back of the switch that i don't know what they go to. One is Grey/black and the others are both Grey. I also can't find any schematics for the steering column for and 88 Suburban? Is the BTSI located inside the column and will i have to pull steering wheel to locate it? Would I be better off just replacing the whole column? This column doesn't have a working key.
Old August 19th, 2017, 5:57 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by jgmiller71
I tested the brake switch with a meter and it appears to open and close fine for the brake lights but there is also 3 wires coming off the back of the switch that i don't know what they go to. One is Grey/black and the others are both Grey. I also can't find any schematics for the steering column for and 88 Suburban? Is the BTSI located inside the column and will i have to pull steering wheel to locate it? Would I be better off just replacing the whole column? This column doesn't have a working key.
Yes, that would be my plan
Old August 19th, 2017, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Ok thank you

Search this Thread