Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

power assist running boards

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2010, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power assist running boards

My '08 Avalanche came w/ electric side steps that go up and down as the doors open and close. About a $1500 option . Cool , but the passenger side is very erratic. Most of the time it wont go down when passenger opens door and sometimes you can hear it go down while driving down the road. Any Ideas? THANKS Big ED
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would suggest having the vehicle checked by your dealership. With an 08 you should still be covered by the 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, which would cover this fix, under normal circumstances. I hope that helps you. If you run into any problems please feel free to contact me through the forum.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 7th, 2010, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi biged412,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I don't want to make any suggestions until your vehicle is fully out of warranty.(except to say you want to look over ANY extended warranty VERY carefully- consider the benefit of having the money in pocket in the event of a breakdown, versus chancing your vehicle outrunning the warranty's time/mileage/coverage limits)

Extended warranties are a mixed bag,generally ANY extended warranty not offered directly by YOUR dealership is a PHONE SCAM.

That said, if you really want to repair it yourself, first find exactly which circuit controls the device. Is it the door switch, ignition switch, or some other circuit in the system?

Then carefully search your system for loose or corroded grounds.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty is out

There is no warranty because I'm over 36k. I really thought these "power retractable assist steps" were cool and for an additional $1095 and better profile look, but they are turning out to be a poor descision. I will start the grounding search, any other test?

Last edited by biged412; September 7th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.