Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

pulling problems

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2013, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling problems

I have a 2004 Tahoe 2wd, 5.3l

I have 20" wheels with wide tires. I have replaced both hubs and tie rods had an alignment and I still pull all over the road, especially when braking, I have also replaced all of the calipers. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Suspension everything is stock except my exhaust and wheels.
Old March 11th, 2013, 3:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you've done the right things, but...

Have you checked your...
Ball Joints, Control Arm Bushings. They would be the most probable reason when you put on the brakes.
Idler Arm. Would be the most likely reason for it pulling/darting when you're just driving along (irregularities in road surfaces).

Though the above Parts majorly influence the areas given, they can have some influence on the other. If you can't check the above yourself, then take your Hoe to some other Alignment Shop, besides the one who did the original alignment (a second opinion).

Just a few more questions, which may be unrelated...
What width Rims are they ?
What size Tires are you using ?
Are the Tires all the same size ?
What Air Pressure do you run in your Tires ?

Last edited by SWHouston; March 11th, 2013 at 3:24 AM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

I am at 35psi all around, not sure on the rim width but my tires are p285/50r20

I will take it to another shop to have the above checked out.
Old March 11th, 2013, 5:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jokahman
I am at 35psi all around, not sure on the rim width but my tires are p285/50r20. I will take it to another shop to have the above checked out.
Those 285's are rated at 57 lbs Max Cold Inflation pressure, and would operate a lot better/safer if you were to run the pressure up toward 48-50 lbs ! You're a LOT less prone to get a crosscut from a Curb or Chughole, with lower profiles, when you got higher pressures in them.

Also, they are supposed to be mounted on 9" Rims, hope the ones you have are pretty close to that !

Looking forward to hearing back on what the other Shop says !
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

The only thing the other shop looked everything over, minus a very small leak in the ball joint on the passenger side (still fully greased) everything is in order. I will air those tires up to that psi though thanks!

Also the mechanic said he could make a small adjustment on the steering box. No play in the wheels but just to tighten it up some.
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

I will air those tires up to that psi

adjustment on the steering box.
Well, taking that play out of the steering, and stiffing up the sidewalls of the Tires will help (removing sway). But, given how you described the severity of the pulling, I'm still suspicious there's something else still to find.

Did you Turn the Rotors when you did your brakes ? Or were they included in the new Hubs ? If the Rotors had any Protectant on them, it could influence that pulling. If there was any kind of coating on them, it may have gotten on your Pads and messed them up too !

Then there's the issue of Bleeding the Brakes properly. You have ABS on your ride, if you have any air in a line, it may cause pulling in the opposite direction. You know that bleeding an ABS System is different from regular (old style) brakes !?

I'm just thinking out loud here

Last edited by SWHouston; March 12th, 2013 at 1:06 AM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 5:05 AM
CF Beginner

The rotors are brand new, they had the protective crap on them, I cleaned up the rotors really good before putting them on. I my brakes were a little soft after replacing so I had the shop bleed them to get my pressure back.

The only thing about the steering box is there is absolutely no play in the wheel right now at all, it would be just to tighten it up in hopes of reducing all of the grabbing
Old March 12th, 2013, 2:35 PM
Super Moderator

Tighten the Steering up to stop "grabbing". That don't make any sense ! You said "pulling' not grabbing, where did the grabbing come from ?

Anyway, I been thinking that whoever missed getting all the air out of the lines during that bleeding. I think you should do another bleed just to be sure.
Old March 13th, 2013, 3:19 AM
CF Beginner

Well grabbing came from them not being able to find anything wrong, so their only guess was that the tires are grabbing so much of the road and my steering wheel is easy to turn so that's what is causing the pulling...

Not sure I believe that completely haha. Anyway i will do another bleed on the brake lines though.
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

the tires are grabbing so much of the road and my steering wheel is easy to turn so that's what is causing the pulling
That's the biggest crock of curap I've ever herd !

Let's see what happens after that second bleed !

Let me say this, and don't take me wrong...
Have you let someone else drive your ride ? Like a good Mechanic ! It's not that I'm not trusting your driving ability, but maybe an experienced second opinion/comment on what he feels it's doing, might help here.

Just a thought.

Last edited by SWHouston; March 13th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.