Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Pump gas extremely slow

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2019, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pump gas extremely slow

I have to pump gas in my 2012 Express 3500 work van very slowly or gas pump will keep shutting off. Dealer says van is showing no codes? Any ideas on what is causing this issue?
Old August 15th, 2019, 12:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Neck Tech
I have to pump gas in my 2012 Express 3500 work van very slowly or gas pump will keep shutting off. Dealer says van is showing no codes? Any ideas on what is causing this issue?
Your fuel pump can go bad without showing a code, only symptoms. You need to have the fuel pressure checked. Dealer should have checked that out. If you haven't changed the fuel filter in a while, that might help too.
Old August 15th, 2019, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the fast response, but I do not believe your understood my issue. My issue is when I go to the gas station to fill up my van, the gas pump will continually automatically cut off. You can not set the gas pump to dispense the gas automatically when I try to fill up my van. I have to stand there and hold the gas pump handle so the gas flows into my fuel tank extremely slow.
I do not think my fuel pump would be part of this issue as my van is not running or even turned on (my keys are in my pocket) when I try to fill up my gas tank.

Sincerely,
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:25 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

its probably an issue with the charcoal canister. they tend to get clogged with dirt and crap or if fuel gets to them it will cause them to fail and not let the tank vent as your pumping it. i have the same issue on my 04 imp, i would change the charcoal canister but i have to drop the tank to do this. the vapor canister vent valve can also cause this. most times either one will set a CEL. so first thing i would do is check the fuel fill neck for anything that might slow the fuel flow
Old August 15th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

+1
for the tank to fill the air in the tank must vent...if it can't pressure builds in the tank and the pressure shuts off the station gas pump.

there is a vent hose from the tank...to the charcoal cannister...out the vent valve...out to a vent filter...this entire series must be clear...any restriction will cause your problem.

find the cannister....remove the hose at the cannister that comes from the tank...remove the fuel tank filler cap....blow back towards the tank....there should be no restrictions. blow into the cannister...there should be very little restriction. whatever direction the restriction is...work your way towards to isolate the clog…..remove the vent valve...remove the vent filter.