Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

question about 5.7 engines interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2014, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about 5.7 engines interchangeability

lol at my title, I have read a few forums, never posted on one, need all the info I can get on the swapping out of an engine, im mechanically inclined, but haven't had much dealing with this stuff. I will tell ya what I have and what I need.

1997 Silverado z71 4x4 extended cab auto transmission, truck has 220k on it. blown head gasket, knock. engine has been through the ringer, was an old farm truck and has been used a lot. has the r vin 350 5.7 liter engine. im assuming its throttle body injection cause that's definitely not a carb setting on top of the intake. what I need to know about this engine is what can I swap with it as the 350 part goes. I thought about pulling the engine and letting someone do the overhaul as I have built a few Toyota 4 cyc engines I am not sure I want to tackle a 350 just yet, I don't think it will be any issue to rebuild, I just soon someone else do it though. I have been having a hard time finding this engine at a junk yard to just do a swap, but I have found a few 350 engines that run great, one im interested in for sure is a 350 but it has a carb on it and a different intake. no mechanical fuel pump for the block doesn't have the port for it, what im wondering is can I use this block and heads and put my intake and throttle body on it, is there more info I need on this engine, to see if it will work, or will all these 350's swap like this, I have heard some people putting 305 heads on a 350 and such, I just know this engine runs good, and has been taken care of since it was rebuilt and uses no oil and such, but id have to swap intake and such and is this possible, will this stuff match up. any pointers in anyway will be of most help, ask questions and I can give you answers, I don't have much money to spend, and this truck will be used to get around in and do running to the store and such, be a backup driver if something happens to my other vehicle. I want to do a job I wont have to worry about and I want to do it right without any mistakes, hate to buy an engine I cant use. anyhow ill stop rambeling, and please agina any help would be great and thanks for taking the time to look into this or direct me into a position I can get some answers, thanks jason
Old October 29th, 2014, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

ok have some updated info on a block im wondering about it is supposably a L31 vortec, the intake on this one has a carb but all the bolt holes look the same as mine with the throttlebody and such, he says it came out of a boat and was a jasper reman engine, it has a regular water pump on it now and all and runs great on the stand with the carb, can i indeed pull my intake and such and put onto this engine, thanks again for the help
Old November 3rd, 2014, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

ok, no one biting on this one, i bought the engine that i mentioned, all the stuff matches up, the block code stamps show its a 5.7l gm, also is was done between 95-99, 4 bolt main, crate engine and zz4, roller cam, one piece rear seal. my only other question......

it is a jasper Marine reman engine, has the stickers on it, and only has 8 hours on the engine. can anyone shed any light on if i should waste my time putting this engine in a truck, engine runs great on the stand, holds 170-185 psi comp on all cyclinders, thanks in advance, Jason