Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Question on GM's 60 degree "high value engines"

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2010, 5:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on GM's 60 degree "high value engines"

Hey everyone. I have a 2006 Monte Carlo LT with the 3.5l LZE motor. I am attending college for autos this fall and I have been wondering about my motor. It seems hard to find much info about it online, so does anyone have any experience with how durable it is if I were to push it past stock by converting it to a turbo application? I have been told the internals are pretty strong for a mild boost conversion. And what exactly differentiates their V6 line? They all look very similar, do they use the same parts? For example, I can't find headers for my motor but I was wondering if I could just use some after market ones designed for the 3800 II motor or the latest 3.9 motor.

I have always wondered how similar GM's motor families are or if they only change minor stuff when they move to a new model. I only want to do some basics for cheap till I can save up enough for a Firebird. Just don't want to spend a lot of $$ on custom exhaust work if I can use headers from another motor.
Old June 7th, 2010, 8:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah I just found this article: http://g6.wrath.com/pdf/08_LZ4%20LZE.doc

By the sounds of it my motor is more durable than I thought, it should handle some boost with lowered compression right?