Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

question for okder truck guys

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2023, 7:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question for okder truck guys

does anyone happen to know what the older toppers/caps rear glass door holders were called? the ones i want to find out about are the ones you lifted the door/gate and the arms held the door open and then when you wanted to close the door you lifted it just a bit and the arms released and allowed the door to lower to the closed position. and if you recall half the time they got out of sync and you messed with them to get them back in sync. i have been trying to figure out the name and or where to get one. i tired online searching for them but i do not know what they are called so all i get are the modern gass shocks. thanks
Old October 2nd, 2023, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

what vehicles had them?
Old October 2nd, 2023, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 198 Posts

I remember these - we had a ford station wagon in the 60's theat had them on the back glass - always made mom cranky when they jammed. Bet you could replace with gas shocks today,
Old October 3rd, 2023, 6:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks but gas shocks will not work. what i want to do is put one on the neighbors front storm door. he is in a wheel chair and when he opens the door it wants to close back on him. i put one of the closers that you push a button to hold it open and then you give the door a push and it releases, but if he is inside that is easy to push the button but if he is on the outside that is a stretch to get to. so one of those came to mind as you extended it and it locked and you extended it again and it released and then the closer can power it back to the closed position.

i was going to mount this horizontal on his door and worse case would be he could open the door a bit and push the hold button so it would release but being he would only have one on it, it would not get out of sync like they did on the tail gates or topper glass door. but i can't think of there names to do a proper search. i tried tons of names and have not found them. the corvair has them on the engine lid on the left side only but they do not release automatically you have to push the button or a side lever to release them and that will not work for every time he uses the door, but one like was used on tail gates or topper back doors that will release by itself. like the topper or tail gates did if anyone happens to knw what those were called please send that along. thanks