Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rebuilding/Cleaning up 350?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding/Cleaning up 350?

OK folks. I have an 80 CJ5 that had a 350 installed. I looked the casting number up and found out it is a 70-76 SBC. It has set up this past year due to the trans leak and basically it is a summer vehicle for me, wife,and the kids to ride around in.

My main problem is that I would really like to get into the engine and clean it up, of course fix what visibly needed fixing. Possibly, at least replace the gaskets and seals. I have been looking at a couple of threads getting into rebuilding there motors and people suggested taking it to machine shops and the whole nine yards.

I am completely ililterate when it comes to engines. Am I capable of anything? HAHA I do have some mechanics around, but really not looking into forking out a lot of money for someone to rebuild it. What I planned on doing tomorrow is getting it cranked up a,d running some seafoam thru it. Then, I do know that the rear seal needs to be replaced, so I can get that done in the next week or so.

What do you guys think I should do? I am not lookng for a suped up ride. I feel a 350 in a CJ5 is plenty enough already.

JJ
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest finding someone who knows someone between friends and family and find a good Mechanic to help you out. It is pretty delacate work to rebuild an engine.

Id start with a compression test. If the engine is in good shape just do an standard tune up(plugs ,wires, PCV, oil, filters, rotor cap etc..) degrease and a light careful pressure spray, maybe get some good hi temp paints and paint the covers, etc... Got any pictures you could post.

Just my thoughts, good luck getting her fixed up!

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 2nd, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 5:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep the oil and filter changed regularly, and with a lite load a 350 can go over 500k miles.

My advice would be change that rear seal(or the whole pan gasket set if you need to) and see how she runs. You may be in luck, if the engine internals are running OK, why borrow trouble?

Last edited by therewolf; May 5th, 2009 at 5:11 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 6:18 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I think you should give up on it and just give it away to someone.
Like me!
I'm a huge fan of the CJ's and one with a Chevy drive train makes me excited!
But seriously my advice is if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

I will see about getting some pics up in the next day or so.

How can I do a compression test myself? Or can I? I do plan on replacing the rear seal, and I guess it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the pan gaske also. And as far as the tune up, I can handle that myself. All that stuff goes in the dash right? HAHA j/k

Thanks for the replies.
JJ

Also. Is changing the oil pan gasket like changing the trans pan gasket?

Last edited by jjhearn; May 3rd, 2009 at 3:20 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 4:38 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by jjhearn
I will see about getting some pics up in the next day or so.

How can I do a compression test myself? Or can I? I do plan on replacing the rear seal, and I guess it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the pan gaske also. And as far as the tune up, I can handle that myself. All that stuff goes in the dash right? HAHA j/k

Thanks for the replies.
JJ

Also. Is changing the oil pan gasket like changing the trans pan gasket?
You can get a compression guage at almost any Auto store for around $30. All you need to do is remove each plug ( one at a time ) and carefully screw the guage hose in the spark plug socket. Then crank the engine a few times to get the reading. Thier pretty simple, It should come with more detailed instructions.

On the oil pan , pretty much same procedure in my opinion, just a little harder to get to in some cases.
Old May 16th, 2009, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

OK guys. I got some pics put up so you can see what I am working with. Keep in mind that it has been sitting up for the better part of a year.

Name:  P5160395.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  77.8 KB
Name:  P5160396.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  84.4 KB
Name:  P5160397.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  79.7 KB
Name:  P5160399.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  77.6 KB
Name:  P5160401.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  78.1 KB

Any comments recommendations are appreciated. One of my main concerns also is in the 4th pic. That is the passengers side cover. It has a breather? hole in it. I remember some time ago pulling what looked to be a rubber ring out of it only because it was corroded and looked like it was fixing to fall into the cover. What is this for? Should I just put a grommet in there, or should something else go there?

thanks
JJ

Last edited by jjhearn; May 16th, 2009 at 7:59 PM.
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was the fresh air intake for the PCV system. Once upon a time it had a hose in it that connected to the original air filter housing. You can get a PVC filter from the auto parts store, right now it is pulling dust/ dirt into the engine. You will probably need to get the grommet though, it is available at the dealer and is the same in every 350 up until 1995.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Motormite "HELP" has a lot of hard to find parts for engines like this.

Look for the aisle with all the red packaging at your local parts store.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Cool! thanks for sharing the pics. That looks like a fun project.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding/Cleaning up 350?