Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rebuilding sbc 350 for 4x4. Cam and piston suggestions

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2018, 9:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

They make a nice product, but it seems you may be digging your hole even deeper. If you don't really need them, racing parts
are borrowing trouble. There's not only the cost up front, but also the back end. I would consider, as an alternative, good
headers and a dual exhaust, if they will fit.. Headers will help sponge off heat from the block, where cast exhaust manifolds will tend to
hold it in more. This would help prolong the life of your engine, while giving you a small power boost.
Old September 14th, 2018, 9:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, with all the great advice from the site,apply the "kiss"method,keep it simple, stupid,and I mean no offense by that,I use it on myself,daily,lol
Old September 14th, 2018, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truuuuuuhhhhhh

Last edited by fatcat92; October 31st, 2018 at 6:28 AM.
Old September 15th, 2018, 5:52 AM
Super Moderator

35s, that's a lot of tire. How about the stress areas? Does that Vortec top end come with DR timing chain and
gears? I'm such a geezer, I remember getting L-blocks with those crappy old Nylon gears stock. On the one hand,
if you are going to use the old bump-stick, mike it out very carefully,but I wouldn't use it unless it came out of a very low mileage engine. OTOH, when you go new, get something with just a small increment of extra lift and duration, because it
effects every other aspect of engine aspiration and tuning.

With 35s, I'd be more worried about gearing. Without granny on call, too much extra power and the drag of getting bogged down is going to tend to stress axles and drive shafts. What's your RPO listed diff ratio? 373 is OK, but I'd be looking for something higher, even if you have to snag one out of a junk yard, for now.

I've gotten out of
vehicle 4WD-ing for the most part, but yesterday I almost got the tractor stuck in
a swamp. Makes a difference, when that diesel engine is connected to low ratio gearing.
I was in slightly over the axles, (lot of rain down here, lately) and "tractoring through"
real slow, dragging half the weeds and mud with me, when the right side rear tire started over a stump, yeah, thought I was going over, that was fun. Got me thinking "Who is going to pull me out of here, if this
magilla gets stuck?" Fortunately, got a few friends down here with tractors and chains.
Just didn't think it had gotten that deep over there, or I wouldn't have gone in, in the first place.

One aspect you may or may not have considered. Warn is nice, but those Harbor Freight Badland winches work, at less than half the cost. Is this something you're getting into recently? One thing we always did, there's 4WD clubs you can join, but
at the very least buddy up with one other 4WDer for emergency recoveries out of the
sticks. This way you can cover for each other, when you get stuck or broke down in
the back country.

Last edited by therewolf; September 15th, 2018 at 6:39 AM.
Old September 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

That Warn will do. Consider getting it on a carriage you can attach to your rear tow hitch, if you have one.
That way you have the option of keeping the winch inside the vehicle, out of the elements, till you need it.

You may want to re-visit the timing chain and gears. If the vortec has the double-roller system already in
place, you could go with that, but if I were you, I would consider that Cloyes DR system which oilcanhenry
mentioned. They would serve you better than a cam with too much lift.

I had a tow buddy who used to go to LBI a lot, and take his truck out on the beach. The stories he would tell
at the bar were quite different from the song he was singing when his truck got stuck in the sand, with the
water coming up. We had a couple narrow escapes from the incoming tide.