Rebuilding sbc 350 for 4x4. Cam and piston suggestions - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Tech
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding sbc 350 for 4x4. Cam and piston suggestions

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rebuilding sbc 350 for 4x4. Cam and piston suggestions

Old September 12th, 2018, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rebuilding sbc 350 for 4x4. Cam and piston suggestions

Ok, I'm rebuilding a sbc 350.. well.... I'm having it taken in to get the bottom end redone and machined and just have them put the bearings, cam, pistons in, etc. I have already changed the top end since I cracked my last heads by overheating and I went with vortec heads, casting number 060 I believe, and paired it with an edelbrock performer RPM vortec intake. I'm gonna take the timing cover off and check what cam it currently has, but I was wanting to upgrade.

Its going into a 1979 k5 blazer which will be mostly offroading but also with quite a bit of road time aswell. I was looking at the extreme 4x4 comp cam before but I was wondering what you guys would do... I was aiming for around 400HP or close to it I was just wondering about some opinions on different cams, pistons and rods, and valvesprings with vortec heads in mind. I'm gonna go do some reading but would be nice to have a jumpoff point in opinions. I've never messed with the bottom end.

Thanks! Kyle
Old September 12th, 2018, 8:16 PM
CF Active Member

Great choice on cam,just remember,high rpm's cost money,to keep the engine durable,so if it's life is going to be normal,not 5k rpm,stock heads will be fine
Old September 12th, 2018, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by geo1 View Post
Great choice on cam,just remember,high rpm's cost money,to keep the engine durable,so if it's life is going to be normal,not 5k rpm,stock heads will be fine
I want mostly lower end power, I already have the vortec heads that I got a few years back to replace my stock heads because my intake looked like it had a hairline crack so I figured to switch to vortec. I heard something about valve lift and vortec heads I haven't done anything to them they have same springs and rocker arms (self aligning) that were in the stock heads. It already had center bolt valve covers aswell so I used those for the new vortec heads (irrelevant I know). Would I be wise to change anything up top in regards to that? I guess I'll have to look at some numbers I remember hearing something about beehive springs or something I'll have to come back with more info on what I have I suppose.
Old September 12th, 2018, 8:35 PM
CF Active Member

Yep, homework is always good,the problem on a build is ,where to stop?stock springs are fine for normal rpm use,same with a hei distributor, but,new ones, maybe?what's the milage on the heads
Old September 12th, 2018, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

the heads were brand new and I have barely used them. I used the stock springs, rocker arms, pushrods from my old heads that cracked. I guess I can just leave the top end alone for now, and focus down below, I'm only rebuilding because I had found a few chunks of piston skirting in the oil pan, originally the tranny was all that had to be done because my torque converter ate itself alive and spread metal confetti into the tranny and all my coolers. So I have a brand new redone tranny sitting here and I'm about to pull engine out. Any opinions on brands/type of pistons for vortec heads or does it matter... maybe I'll go do some info searching right now I keep putting it off.
Old September 12th, 2018, 8:52 PM
CF Active Member

I'm sure some offroading sites will prove valuable, imagine if money was no object?what would you wind up doing then?scary,lol
Old September 12th, 2018, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Probably end up doing wheelies down the freeway! Thanks for replying! Yes I'm looking around now and have gotten a better general idea of what I should be after. Trying to get as much low end power without increasing my compression ratio too much I suck up too much $$$ worth of gas as it is! If I have to run one grade up so be it but ideally would not like that!
Old September 13th, 2018, 3:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by fatcat92 View Post
Probably end up doing wheelies down the freeway! Thanks for replying! Yes I'm looking around now and have gotten a better general idea of what I should be after. Trying to get as much low end power without increasing my compression ratio too much I suck up too much $$$ worth of gas as it is! If I have to run one grade up so be it but ideally would not like that!
Whatever cam you decide on I'd go with a Cloyes timing chain. They are built like a rock and worth every penney.
Old September 13th, 2018, 9:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by geo1 View Post
To the man should you listen! Wise is he! Mmmmm.

OK all Yoda aside, I would go with a milder cam for a couple reasons. Gas mileage is one. Less tear on that new bottom end is another. one thing which many folks ignore about racing
parts is the shorter life span of racing engines, in general. When sponsors are replacing their engines after 2 or three weeks, what do they care?
Old September 13th, 2018, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
To the man should you listen! Wise is he! Mmmmm.

OK all Yoda aside, I would go with a milder cam for a couple reasons. Gas mileage is one. Less tear on that new bottom end is another. one thing which many folks ignore about racing
parts is the shorter life span of racing engines, in general. When sponsors are replacing their engines after 2 or three weeks, what do they care?
Was looking at the lunati voodoo cranks, maybe that would be a better option?

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: