Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Removing and discarding all non engine related senosrs and systems. my tahoes

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2019, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing and discarding all non engine related senosrs and systems. my tahoes

I want to remove and discard all security, autoride and sensors, ABS equipment power seats, doors, windows etc. I wish to keep it street legal and smoggable in Calif. But use it only for desert. Is this possible? The vehicle is a 2002 Tahoe 4x4. Nevermind trying to ask me why, Is it doable? Thx

Last edited by Jeffinsocal; November 15th, 2019 at 6:57 PM.
Old November 16th, 2019, 8:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffinsocal
I want to remove and discard all security, autoride and sensors, ABS equipment power seats, doors, windows etc. I wish to keep it street legal and smoggable in Calif. But use it only for desert. Is this possible? The vehicle is a 2002 Tahoe 4x4. Nevermind trying to ask me why, Is it doable? Thx
In California? You are joking I hope!

Highly doubtful, if you expect to stay legal with the ARB. Best that you move out of that state, at all if possible. Those poor folks are going down a rat-infested hell-hole from which there is no returning from. So, not unless the laws have changed, it is _not_ doable, unless you register your vehicle in a free state like NV or AZ. Otherwise, you are doomed to keep your registered CA vehicle up to the CA codes and all the other crazy laws emanating from that hellish state!.

I wish you luck if you do stay there. You'll need it, living in such a place, Jeffinsocal,

Such is life.as we say.

Like with my grandparents, sometimes you just have to pack things up and move to a better place and these days, CA, NY, NJ, MA, ect. are not one of those places anyone wishes to stay in for long, and there is no way to change it, so one moves!.
Old November 16th, 2019, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beautiful State, but politics have rendered it a giant Moscow.

I plan on leaving the motor smoggable. But for simplicity sake, I want all other non esentia equipment removed. Including a/c, heater core. Basically all non motor items. Will the computer allow it?

I
Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
In California? You are joking I hope!

Highly doubtful, if you expect to stay legal with the ARB. Best that you move out of that state, at all if possible. Those poor folks are going down a rat-infested hell-hole from which there is no returning from. So, not unless the laws have changed, it is _not_ doable, unless you register your vehicle in a free state like NV or AZ. Otherwise, you are doomed to keep your registered CA vehicle up to the CA codes and all the other crazy laws emanating from that hellish state!.

I wish you luck if you do stay there. You'll need it, living in such a place, Jeffinsocal,

Such is life.as we say.

Like with my grandparents, sometimes you just have to pack things up and move to a better place and these days, CA, NY, NJ, MA, ect. are not one of those places anyone wishes to stay in for long, and there is no way to change it, so one moves!.
Old November 17th, 2019, 4:30 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffinsocal
I plan on leaving the motor smoggable. But for simplicity sake, I want all other non esentia equipment removed. Including a/c, heater core. Basically all non motor items. Will the computer allow it?

I
The ECM should handle it but you may end up with codes. A pro with a expensive professional grade scanner whom may be able to delete these. I don't know what the cost would be for deleting the items you mentioned. Mayhaps I am mistaken, and codes will not show up. I'd slowly dismantle the items you no long wish to have and see if any codes show up.
Old November 17th, 2019, 9:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

a good tuner should be able to delete it.

with the abs system not functional...if you ever want to sell it...it won't pass a safety check. airbags and abs must work if originally equipped.