Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

rpms drop while braking

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2010, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
throttle postioning sensor causes the pulsating problem,if the plugs arent the problem, the best way to tell an ecotec needs plugs is a rough cold engine start and it shakes a bunch and when doing the plugs DONT FORGET THE DIELECTRIC GREASE! there is no cap and rotor and all the plug boots (no wires) attatch to the coil packs on top of the plugs, and plus gm doesnt offer a 36k mile powertrain warranty, thats the bumper-to-bumper you are thinking about, your warranty on the powertrain should be good to 100k miles as long as you kept up on your maintenence properly
Good call on the no cap and rotor, I forgot those cobalts have the ecotec motors that have coil packs like the Vortec motor.
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife has 1, as soon as the warranty was up i started doing all the work on it, im getting to know the car very well
Old July 26th, 2010, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

After changing the plugs,fuel filter and cleaning out the throttle body it still drops rpms while braking but the tune up did help the idle a bit. So I took it to the dealer and after 3 hours the tech comes out and says youve got a burnt valve on cylinder 4. Luckily its covered under the powertrain warranty. Now my concern is, do valves just burn sometimes or is there an issue somewhere else that causes them to burn? Dont wanna keep going back with burnt valves if theres another issue causing them to burn in first place. And would a burnt valve cause the rpms to drop while braking? Thanks
Old July 26th, 2010, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jaya5602
After changing the plugs,fuel filter and cleaning out the throttle body it still drops rpms while braking but the tune up did help the idle a bit. So I took it to the dealer and after 3 hours the tech comes out and says youve got a burnt valve on cylinder 4. Luckily its covered under the powertrain warranty. Now my concern is, do valves just burn sometimes or is there an issue somewhere else that causes them to burn? Dont wanna keep going back with burnt valves if theres another issue causing them to burn in first place. And would a burnt valve cause the rpms to drop while braking? Thanks
Wouldn't have guessed that. I'm just taking a stab at this because I'm not familiar with that motor and how it works exactly but on most motors if a valve is "burnt" I would simply assume that valve is not seating properly which is causing the cylinder to either (A) not achieve full combustion or (B) cause air to fuel ratio mixtures that are not making that engine happy. It may have been very subtle and that is why you only felt the idle die out when stopping because I would assume its simply on the decompression stroke thus the reason you never felt it during acceleration. As I said though, I'm only functioning on the premise that this is how most engines would respond, I cannot be sure with your motor.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 7:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say a burnt valve would make it idle low, im suprised it didnt run rougher