General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Rust

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2020 | 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

If you’re motivated to do so, aren’t a stranger to auto repair, and own a decent set of tools (or have access to a friend or relatives tools), it’s not all that difficult to pull the bed for a thorough inspection of the frame and underbody to see if it’s in good enough condition to repair.

If the metal underneath the rust is good enough to weld, plate steel can be used, or, depending on the location of the damage, crossmember repair is possible using a kit available from Dorman. I installed one of these kits on a customer truck last year - I’m an experienced welder, but this was the first time I’d ever done frame repair. The picture below is a 2000 Silverado 1500. I’ve got another customer with an early 2000’s S10 that wants me to repair some rust related frame damage on it as well, I just haven’t had a chance to inspect it for the extent of the work it’ll need yet.

Old August 13th, 2020 | 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

I'm no stranger to auto repair but at my age, I think I will win the lottery and buy a new truck!