Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

SBC Intake manifold bolts leaking?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2021, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SBC Intake manifold bolts leaking?

Hey all. I have a 1976 monte carlo w/ a chevy 350, 4bl carb and intake.

At first I thought my valve covers were leaky, I replaced them and the leak remained, so I did them AGAIN because I thought maybe the new style valve cover gaskets I got were ****. They were awful thin. Anyway swapped back to old school cork, with some RTV gasket sealer in-between the cover and the gasket, none on head side.

My leak still remains, oil pools up around the center 4 intake manifold bolts. 2 on drive 2 on passenger, only these 4. I've read online the intake manifold bolts in these spots can leak if not Teflon taped.

My question is can I pull these 4 bolts only, or do I need to pull all the bolts and re-install the intake in the right torque/ bolt on order.
Old March 21st, 2021, 8:00 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Senolin32
Hey all. I have a 1976 monte carlo w/ a chevy 350, 4bl carb and intake.

At first I thought my valve covers were leaky, I replaced them and the leak remained, so I did them AGAIN because I thought maybe the new style valve cover gaskets I got were ****. They were awful thin. Anyway swapped back to old school cork, with some RTV gasket sealer in-between the cover and the gasket, none on head side.

My leak still remains, oil pools up around the center 4 intake manifold bolts. 2 on drive 2 on passenger, only these 4. I've read online the intake manifold bolts in these spots can leak if not Teflon taped.

My question is can I pull these 4 bolts only, or do I need to pull all the bolts and re-install the intake in the right torque/ bolt on order.
New one on me, but yes, I don't think other than the ones leaking would need teflon. As far as valve cover gaskets, are these straight cork or cork/rubber (black specs in the cork)?
Old March 21st, 2021, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
New one on me, but yes, I don't think other than the ones leaking would need teflon. As far as valve cover gaskets, are these straight cork or cork/rubber (black specs in the cork)?

Yeah i know i don't need to teflon the others.

See only 1, 2, 3, and 4 are leaking. But my question is, if i pull 1-4. Do i need to pull all of these others and re-do the torque sequence as showed above, or can i get away with just pulling out and teflon taping the 4.

As for the valve covers, The new ones i tried were like rubber with a metal lining inside, and they were very very thin so i thought thats why they were leaking, the new ones i believe they're just straight cork. They're standard felpro gaskets, some of the other gaskets say cork & Rubber and these just say cork. I don't remember off hand what they look like. I do have a pair of thick pure rubber ones lying around also.

Also, thanks for the reply and sweet looking ride!
Old March 21st, 2021, 12:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Senolin32
Yeah i know i don't need to teflon the others.

See only 1, 2, 3, and 4 are leaking. But my question is, if i pull 1-4. Do i need to pull all of these others and re-do the torque sequence as showed above, or can i get away with just pulling out and teflon taping the 4.

As for the valve covers, The new ones i tried were like rubber with a metal lining inside, and they were very very thin so i thought thats why they were leaking, the new ones i believe they're just straight cork. They're standard felpro gaskets, some of the other gaskets say cork & Rubber and these just say cork. I don't remember off hand what they look like. I do have a pair of thick pure rubber ones lying around also.

Also, thanks for the reply and sweet looking ride!
Is the torque patteren, also a two step torque? In other words, torque to "x" ft. lbs, then follow the pattern to final torque of "y" ft. lbs? If that is the case, I'd recommend backing all the bolts off to the first torque value, install the 4 bolts to the "x" value, then complete the final from there, just what I would do.
Old March 21st, 2021, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

I don't believe it is a 2-step, My manual only mentions tightening them to one set x ft. lbs.

Honestly if i'm gonna go all the way down there i might as well be safe and do it the right way and back them all out. Thanks for your help!
The following users liked this post:
kevinkpk (March 21st, 2021)